INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ZWO EAF with Orion8 Newtonian - settings?

• Thank you received: 0
Hello,I'm using Ekos on astroberry with a ZWO EAF focuser, I got for my birthday from my kids. I looked around a bit and these are the settings I've tried (found info on this forum):
  • Settings tab:
    • Full field: checked
    • Box: 64px
    • Annulus: 25% - 80%
    • Settle: 0
  • Process:
    • Detection: SEP
    • Kernel size: 5
    • Sigma: 1.5
    • SEP Profile: focus default
    • Algorithm: Linear
    • Tolerance: 5%
    • Average over 2 frames
When I start the automatic focus process - after I focused manually, it starts far out (or in), with donnut-shaped stars, at some point it reaches (imho) nice focus but continues and stops with donnut shaped stars. I've read somewhere that with a Newtonian it's not easy to use an automatic focus process, due to the secondary mirror shadow when out of focus.Can anybody please advise what settings I can use for my setup, or should I forget about automatic focussing with a newtonian?Thanks and kind regards,
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by geert.
2 years 10 months ago #71808

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 42
Look in the focus Mechanices tab
Read / search the focus topics in the forum about setting the initial step size ( about 1/2 CFZ), step multiple (about x4 CFZ) adjust to get a decent V curve.

I am not too good at this yet but set focus via Ekos "manually" using the non auto focus controls and note the number of steps when it looks to be in focus.

Then considering the initial step size and the step multiple and the above in focus value cause the auto focus to start with a value not too too far above the manual in focus value.
That seems to allow the auto focus routine to form the V curve without too many tries and reverse back over it successfully.
2 years 10 months ago #71894

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 1.124 seconds