INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Can't connect Asstroberry to Android smartphone

• Thank you received: 8
Hi,
I noticed some strange problem.

I have my Raspberry connected to my local network. From the windows machine and UltraVNC I can connect to the Astroberry with network address: astroberry.local

But from my Android smartphone it isn't possible. It connect if I use the IP address: 192.168.1.11 but it changes all time so not so practical

I have tried following addresses:

astroberry.local

xhttp://astroberry.local

astroberry.local:5900

xhttp://astroberry.local:5900

None of the addresses work.
Error message: Invalid endpoint: port not correctly specified.

I use the App VA VNC Viewer.

Any idea what's wrong ?

ps.
It's very practical with the smartphone, I use it when I set the focus of the guide camera lens.

/Lars
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Lars.
2 years 4 months ago #78654

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
There has been an on and off issue, for at least 5 years where some Android devices have trouble resolving .local hostnames.

Easiest way around it, if you say it connects using the ip address is to set the Astroberry to a static IP.  It sounds scary but it isn't; when you are on the Astroberry desktop, right click on the network icon on the task bar, and there's an option that says "Edit Connections", click on to that and it'll bring a new window up with the list of connections you've got and which ones have been used. 
Highlight the WiFi connection you want to edit, and then there is a cog wheel at the bottom, click on to that; .
Another window will pop up, with a lot of scary looking configuration tabs; the fifth one being IPv4 Settings, select that, and then from the drop down that says "Method", select "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only". 
The next step is to click on Add, and it'll highlight a row in the table that is visible.  In the first segment add "192.168.1.50" (you can change the 50 for any number you want between 2 and 254, but I'd advise to stick between 50 and 100 there as other fixed devices like printers, WiFi extenders and the like may be sitting on some of the addresses at the extreme ends), the second segment should automatically fill in 24 if it doesn't then do so manually, and the third if it doesn't automatically fill should be set to 192.168.1.1
I'd recommend you set it as well for the Wired Connection.

After that, reboot the Astroberry, and it give it a few minutes to let it connect and the router to register the changes and then you should be able to connect directly via the IP that you assigned above.
2 years 4 months ago #78657

• Thank you received: 69
While I'm no fan of "mDNS" - the method that resolves the IP address of .local hosts, this is something that Google /  Android has ignored for many years. The issue is here: issuetracker.google.com/issues/140786115?pli=1

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sean Needham
2 years 4 months ago #78659

• Thank you received: 8
Okej, thanks for the info. Then I know that's not me that is the problem. It's something with the app in my Android smart phone.

/Lars
2 years 4 months ago #78733

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds