INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Debian 10 Buster install

• Thank you received: 1
Hi all. I've switched to using Debian and have discovered I cannot install indi/kstars in the usual way (ppa).
I believe I need to build from source ??
Could someone point me in the right direction please ? I'm a semi-noob to Linux but can navigate my way around fine with decent instructions. I've never needed to build or compile before so advice greatly appreciated. :-)

running Debian 10 Buster stable with KDE (minimal install)
Thanks in advance...
Jack
2 years 8 months ago #73572

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 107

Replied by nou on topic Debian 10 Buster install

You can try my script that compile INDI+KStars gitea.nouspiro.space/nou/astro-soft-buil...build-soft-stable.sh
Tested on Ubuntu but should work on Debian too. Here is another script that install all dependencies that are needed for build. gitea.nouspiro.space/nou/astro-soft-buil...tall-dependencies.sh
2 years 8 months ago #73574

Replied by jack sharp on topic Debian 10 Buster install

excellent. thank-you. I'll give it a go this evening. got clear skies for the 1st time in weeks so fingers crossed.
thanks again
:-)
2 years 8 months ago #73575

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Gary on topic Debian 10 Buster install

I built everything on Debian 10 about a week ago using the latest stable tagged branches from each repo. Should you choose to do it manually rather than via the script above the main issue is installing all the dependencies you need ;) Assuming you already know how to use git that is. If not, have a read about how to checkout a repo and switch to a named/tagged branch and you'll be all set.

If it's of any help, here's what I built and iirc the order I did it in:
  • IndiLib "v1.9.0" (and 3rd party + MUPAstroCAT)
  • StellarSolver "1.5"
  • KStars "stable-3.5.3"
  • PHD2 "v2.6.9"

One tip is to first install "GNU Stow". Then for each of the above items when you run ccmake, for example with indilib, change the install prefix to "/usr/local/stow/indilib-v1.9.0" then configure/make/make install as normal. You can then as root cd into /usr/local/stow and "activate" the indilib install with

stow indilib-v1.9.0

now make/install/activate the indilib 3rd party, then stellar solver and so on.

The beauty of this is, when a new release of any of the software comes out or you want to test the develop version, you build it as normal but set a different install prefix "indilib-dev" or "indilib-v1.10.0" etc and then cd into /usr/local/stow and deactivate the old version, activate the new.

stow -D indilib-v1.9.0
      stow indilib-dev

That way if in an imaging session you encounter new bugs, you can simply stow -D indilib/kstars/stellar/phd2 and stow the last version you know worked fine. Takes a few minutes and makes experimenting with new versions less risky :)

Also fwiw I had to build PHD2 with USE_SYSTEM_* OFF. I'm not sure which lib it was, but it didn't play nicely with the latest system versions and would fail to connect to my equipment via indi.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Gary.
2 years 8 months ago #73636

Replied by jack sharp on topic Debian 10 Buster install

Sorted ! took me a while but it's up and running. 1st time I ran the script I had some dependency issues but figured it out with a combination from both replies. Cheers guys. really helped loads and just in time for decent weather in the uk :-)
clear skies to you. thanks again :-)
2 years 8 months ago #73766

Time to create page: 0.917 seconds