INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Debian Raspberry PI desktop on mini PC

• Thank you received: 140
@scott
hmmmmm, I do have one of those, but do you know if they will work with a resolution set above HD as I currently use 2k on my PI 2560 x1440, will this work..? I did use 4k but too sluggish over VNC so had to drop it down, but don’t really want to go down to HD as it’s looks awful on my 28” 4k monitor….
2 years 8 months ago #73646

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 57
The dummy plug doesn't actually do anything except provide passive resistors where the video card expects them too be. It "pretends" to be a monitor.

You can buy plugs that pretend to be higher resolution than HD. I think this one pretends to be 4K. Regardless, there's no "there" there. It's just a dumb plug that doesn't do anything.

For just remote controlling a computer that has no monitor, I don't see the point in trying to get beautiful graphics. What you want is to do your capture on there and then display your processed image on a machine indoors. That's where the resolution will matter, not on your VNC session to run mount and camera control.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Scott Denning.
2 years 8 months ago #73655

• Thank you received: 15
The easiest way to install dual boot is to install windows OS in the first place, then only install Linux alongside Windows. The Linux installation process will guide you through it. No need to worry much.

If you need a lightweight Linux system, Lubuntu or Xubuntu are good choices. Both also can support kstars. :)

I choose Kubuntu is because according to Jasem Kstars is develop on this Linux distro. :)

Tom
2 years 8 months ago #73659

• Thank you received: 107
I am using tightvnc for my headless imaging PC. It doesn't need any dummy HDMI plug and it can be setup to run any resolution that you desire. It can be really tricky to to configure.
2 years 8 months ago #73665

I can’t find VNC that will install on the mini PC, I have Ubuntu all loaded and working, but for the life of me I can’t get a VNC to work, tried downloading RealVNC and the file will not install it says incompatible….so anybody any ideas and or instructions…..??
2 years 8 months ago #73684

I use NoMachine instead. It's free, it has clients for Windows, Mac, linux, phones, tablets, etc. And it works great.
2 years 8 months ago #73686

Hi,
Yes, well I have VNC working now, but not very well, the screen comes up, but the mouse does nothing….only on the windows desktop…
so have you got an install guide for NM…?
as I have no idea about that….
2 years 8 months ago #73688

To install NoMachine on your miniPC,

1) download the package from www.nomachine.com/download/linux&id=1
I don't know exactly what OS you've installed but I'll assume it's ubuntu on a 64-bit CPU
In that case you'd download "NoMachine for Linux DEB amd64"

2) Put the DEB file on your miniPC.
cd to that directory and type "dpkg -I nomachine_7.6.2_4_amd64.deb"

3) Reboot the miniPC

4) Install the software on the machine you want to use as a client (the one indoors, with a monitor)
Again I don't know what OS you use indoors, but you can install for Win, Mac, linux, iOS, or Android here:
www.nomachine.com/download

5) Start the client program on your desktop doors. Click "Connection" and choose the miniPC.

Let me know if you have trouble!
Scott
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
2 years 8 months ago #73690

@Scott,
ok, got VNC working now, it was a setting that needed changing, would not work with no screen connected, just black, so as my mini Intel NUC has a Mini HDMI port, and a mini display port, and they don’t do dummy plugs for the mini size HDMI, and didnot want an adapter sticking out, I bought a dummy mini display port dongle, as they do sell those albeit at twice the price, but that works perfectly and can set at 2560x1440….very happy…
Thanks for your help….Much appreciated…. :)
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by AstroNerd.
2 years 8 months ago #73724

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds