INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

HFR not updating in FITS Viewer

• Thank you received: 7
Setup is Stellarmate OS running on RPi4 at the telescope as remote server - KStars/Ekos 3.5.5 Stable.  Linux desktop running KStars/Ekos v  3.5.5 Stable connected to RPi Stellarmate via ethernet cable. Ekos CCD tab setting for Directory is a NAS on the same local network. Downloads work well - generally two seconds for 122 MB files.  Images downloaded from camera exposure sequences are displayed in the FITS viewer on Linux desktop. First downloaded image from camera displays HFR and Ecc values, but next image in sequence does not update HFR and Ecc values for the current image - they remain unchanged from the first image. Snippet from Log file has a Warning: "Non-native QFileDialog supports only local files" Could this be the problem? The Save dialog in the CCD tab says it is being locally saved. The HFR is always reported for new downloaded files in the Graph in the Analyze module.
However, if I use FITS Viewer to load an existing image from the NAS storage device, it opens in a new tab and displays the HFR and Ecc values correctly. Then if I click on the other tab from the last loaded camera image, the HFR and Ecc values update to the correct values. So the images displayed in FITS Viewer directly from the camera download are not updating HFR value but if recalled from a storage device HFR is displayed correctly and then when revisiting the tab from the download the HFR is updated and displayed correctly. Is this a bug or is the way I am downloading and storing images?
Log file snippet attached.
Thanks for any assistance.

File Attachment:

File Name: LogSnippet.txt
File Size:3 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sonny Cavazos
2 years 6 months ago #75764
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 38
I can confirm the windows build also has the same issue.

2 years 6 months ago #75766

Thanks for the info Sonny!  I have just discovered that if I uncheck "Single preview tab" in the FITS Look & Feel section of the KStars/FITS Configure window, the newly downloaded images do in fact appear in a new tab and the HFR and Ecc data is reported correctly. Of course, any custom settings for magnification, shadows, midtones, crosshairs, etc are not present. So this seems more and more like a bug of some sort.
2 years 6 months ago #75768

Oh great to know! I will 'check' that (or uncheck lol)
2 years 6 months ago #75769

• Thank you received: 23
Same issue in KStars 3.5.2. To update value you must open new tabs with new images. It take in memory values taken from the first image received.
Probably an unresolved issue that "walk" through the versions
2 years 6 months ago #75805

• Thank you received: 6
Same in 3.5.5 and nightly's. If this is not a bug but a design feature I think someone needs to rethink this. I work around this by closing the just created FITS Viewer window
to force the recalculation. I particularly NEED the eccentricity calc. to watch for focus problems or sky turbulence.
2 years 6 months ago #75807

Created an issue on invent.kde.org for this.  Hopefully it's an easy fix.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack, Doug S
2 years 6 months ago #75816

Sonny, thanks for submitting this. I also discovered from a friend who sees the same behavior, that HFR is updated automatically with new image downloads if the Statistics panel is displayed. Statistics does not report Eccentricity, however. We just need the HFR and Ecc values reported at the bottom of the displayed image to update properly. Thank you all for your inputs.
2 years 6 months ago #75817

• Thank you received: 559
Thanks everyone for reporting this.

I took a quick look, was able to reproduce in the simulator, and found the bug.  Yes, it was only updating the status bar when creating a new fitsviewer tab. It was probably a long-standing bug, as suggested above.

Here's the fix I sent to Jasem for his approval:  invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/437

FYI, as a workaround until this is in a release you're using, you can find the up-to-date HFR and Eccentricity values in the Analyze tab,
e.g. by looking at the 'hfr' and 'ecc' value displays on the 'Capture' line, and making sure that the "Latest" checkbox is checked on top, so that it's always displaying those fields from the most recent capture.

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, Kevin Ross, ALESSANDRO PENSATO, Bob Fugate
2 years 6 months ago #75834

Thank you, Hy! I really appreciate all you guys do. Another example of why open source is so great.
2 years 6 months ago #75836

Time to create page: 0.698 seconds