INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Paolo on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

I feel you! I switched from RPi4 4b 4GB to a 240 USD mini PC and the difference is astonishing. I no longer have "weird" crashed (e.g. with gphoto) every now and then that, I think, were related to RPi slowness.
The only regret I have is that now I'll never be able to use the StellarmateOS app! But I favor stability over everything else :)
2 years 6 months ago #76043

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Rafael Schlegel on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

I switched from a Raspi 4 to a RockPi 4B with 128 GB eMMC. Same form factor but much faster. Since then i haven't had a single chrash and i'm very happy with it.
2 years 6 months ago #76044

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

@Hy
Just an FYI, the Intel NUC will run fine from 12v, no need to use the 19v power brick at all, this has been posted many times on other forums as many people in the Astro world use these mini PC’s, also in the BIOS there is a setting which will allow it to power up on its own as soon as the power is turned on, so no need to be by the PC when you start an imaging session….
I switched a few months ago to an Intel mini PC… :)
2 years 6 months ago #76046

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

@AstroNerd:

Yes, I also discovered the BIOS switch to boot on power-on. Got me worried at the start, but thank goodness for the internet.

Re 19v: Are you using a NUC10? I know other NUC versions are spec'd for 12-19v, but from what I've seen on CloudyNights, the NUC10 needs 19v.

Thanks,
Hy
2 years 6 months ago #76048

@Hy,
ah, ok maybe I am wrong about the NUC 10 I have an older one myself…sorry…that’s a shame as it would have been much more simple for you….
Can I ask, do you still need a dummy HDMI or Display port dongle for it t run headless..??
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by AstroNerd.
2 years 6 months ago #76049

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

Yes, I needed to use the dummy HDMI plug.
Hy
2 years 6 months ago #76051

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by Thomas Mason on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

I made a similar switch to an Asus pn51 which is a ryzen based mini pc. It is setup with Ubuntu 20.04, a Samsung Evo Plus 1 TB SSD, and 64 GB ram. Same result, as expected it is much faster, e.g. downloads from my camera went from a couple of seconds to 0.4 sec. Also higher frame rate for firecapture for planetary imaging. Will still use the rPi for portable setup since it is smaller and less power hungry.

I have an HDMI dummy plug and got a cheap Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse and just leave the dongle plugged in so I can hookup a monitor via usb-c DisplayPort and work locally if I am doing polar alignment or planetary imaging.  Otherwise the monitor and keyboard/mouse sits in the shed and I work via vnc.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Thomas Mason.
2 years 6 months ago #76058

• Thank you received: 107

Replied by nou on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

Hey I also use Asus PN50. Download time down from 2.7s to 0.2s. But isn't 64GB RAM overkill? Or are you doing planetary imaging and you need BIG buffer for that?
2 years 6 months ago #76061

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by Thomas Mason on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

I am running astropixelprocessor on the pn51 now - it has 8 cores/16 threads so it is more capable than my older imac. It can use a lot of memory - especially the new beta with star reducer.
2 years 6 months ago #76062

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

While talking NUCs - I've noticed that iOptron have released a number of mount versions with a 19V supply and NUC mounting point:

www.firstlightoptics.com/ioptron-mounts/...roc-tripod-case.html

2 years 5 months ago #76108

• Thank you received: 133

Replied by Peter Sütterlin on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

Interesting.  My PN40 is officially only speced for 19V, but I run it on 12V all the time, without issues.  After all there's nothing within such a computer that runs on 19V - that (most of the time) is only to guarantee a stable 12V when converted down.  So I'd just try it with 12V.  You might just need a strong enough PSU or large enough battery that doesn't drop below 12V, as an i7 might well need some power...

2 years 5 months ago #76118

Yes my power supply to mine is 13.7v actually not 12v…
2 years 5 months ago #76120

Time to create page: 1.561 seconds