INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

@Hy,
ah, ok maybe I am wrong about the NUC 10 I have an older one myself…sorry…that’s a shame as it would have been much more simple for you….
Can I ask, do you still need a dummy HDMI or Display port dongle for it t run headless..??
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by AstroNerd.
2 years 6 months ago #76049

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

Yes, I needed to use the dummy HDMI plug.
Hy
2 years 6 months ago #76051

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by Thomas Mason on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

I made a similar switch to an Asus pn51 which is a ryzen based mini pc. It is setup with Ubuntu 20.04, a Samsung Evo Plus 1 TB SSD, and 64 GB ram. Same result, as expected it is much faster, e.g. downloads from my camera went from a couple of seconds to 0.4 sec. Also higher frame rate for firecapture for planetary imaging. Will still use the rPi for portable setup since it is smaller and less power hungry.

I have an HDMI dummy plug and got a cheap Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse and just leave the dongle plugged in so I can hookup a monitor via usb-c DisplayPort and work locally if I am doing polar alignment or planetary imaging.  Otherwise the monitor and keyboard/mouse sits in the shed and I work via vnc.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Thomas Mason.
2 years 6 months ago #76058

• Thank you received: 107

Replied by nou on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

Hey I also use Asus PN50. Download time down from 2.7s to 0.2s. But isn't 64GB RAM overkill? Or are you doing planetary imaging and you need BIG buffer for that?
2 years 6 months ago #76061

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by Thomas Mason on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

I am running astropixelprocessor on the pn51 now - it has 8 cores/16 threads so it is more capable than my older imac. It can use a lot of memory - especially the new beta with star reducer.
2 years 6 months ago #76062

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

While talking NUCs - I've noticed that iOptron have released a number of mount versions with a 19V supply and NUC mounting point:

www.firstlightoptics.com/ioptron-mounts/...roc-tripod-case.html

2 years 5 months ago #76108

• Thank you received: 133

Replied by Peter Sütterlin on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

Interesting.  My PN40 is officially only speced for 19V, but I run it on 12V all the time, without issues.  After all there's nothing within such a computer that runs on 19V - that (most of the time) is only to guarantee a stable 12V when converted down.  So I'd just try it with 12V.  You might just need a strong enough PSU or large enough battery that doesn't drop below 12V, as an i7 might well need some power...

2 years 5 months ago #76118

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

Yes my power supply to mine is 13.7v actually not 12v…
2 years 5 months ago #76120

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

I guess it's time to retire my old Cray 1.  It was getting a little heavy for the rig, I have to admit.  And it was sucking a lot of power....   

2 years 5 months ago #76137
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

The network issue I found was mainly a problem with the onboard wireless.  I put an external 1200 Mbs adapter on the powered hub and then everything is instantaneous from 60 ft away.  

The compiling, yes, that does take a long time.  But once it runs, downloading to the SSD and running Ekos can only be marginally better with the NUC.  I see very little lag there. 
2 years 5 months ago #76138

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by Scott Denning on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

I also use a miniPC (mine's AMD not Intel) for my home imaging setup. I find KStars/Ekos to be perfectly comfortable on the Pi4, but occasionally I do lunar and planetary and for high-frame rate video capture the Pi just can't come close. I can get anywhere from 3x to 5x or more frames per second on the miniPC. Once it's out there under the scope there's no point swapping it back out for the Pi.

On the other hand, I use a Pi all the time up at my cabin or on the road because it's so much power efficient. I have no line power at all at the cabin, so everything has to be charged off solar, and I just can't see wasting watts on a miniPC.

I rarely compile anything on the Pi, and just work with the ubuntu repositories. Running KStars is just no trouble at all on the Pi, especially when I'm asleep! The interface is just a little bit laggy compared to the mini, but not so much that it bothers me.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Scott Denning.
2 years 5 months ago #76140

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by Ron DeBry on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

Planning to acquire a mini-PC.

With an external usb wifi adapter, can one create a wifi hotspot for remote setups? Or should I get a travel router instead?
1 year 8 months ago #84086

Time to create page: 0.551 seconds