INDI Library v1.9.3 Released (11 Nov 2021)

Bimonthly Stable INDI Library release introduces new drivers and fixes for existing ones. Some highlights:

NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

• Thank you received: 136

Replied by AstroNerd on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

Yes my power supply to mine is 13.7v actually not 12v…
Stellarmate OS on Raspberry pi4b
Skywatcher EQ8 pro, on steel pier
Takahashi FSQ85, FS60cb & Meade 8” SCT (de-forked)
Starlight Xpress SXVR H18, SXVR M25c, Lodestar x2 Guide Camera
Pegasus Ultimate Hub V2 for all USB & Power
Pegasus focus motors on all scopes
2 months 1 week ago #76120

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

I guess it's time to retire my old Cray 1.  It was getting a little heavy for the rig, I have to admit.  And it was sucking a lot of power....   

Atlas Pro AZ-EQ, ASI1600MM-Pro, ASI120MM-S, ES102ED, WO-Z61, Nikon D3300, ASI-EFW, ZWO LRGB,Ha,O3,S2 filter set
2 months 1 week ago #76137
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

The network issue I found was mainly a problem with the onboard wireless.  I put an external 1200 Mbs adapter on the powered hub and then everything is instantaneous from 60 ft away.  

The compiling, yes, that does take a long time.  But once it runs, downloading to the SSD and running Ekos can only be marginally better with the NUC.  I see very little lag there. 
Atlas Pro AZ-EQ, ASI1600MM-Pro, ASI120MM-S, ES102ED, WO-Z61, Nikon D3300, ASI-EFW, ZWO LRGB,Ha,O3,S2 filter set
2 months 1 week ago #76138

• Thank you received: 46

Replied by Scott Denning on topic NUC10 vs RPI4b/SSD

I also use a miniPC (mine's AMD not Intel) for my home imaging setup. I find KStars/Ekos to be perfectly comfortable on the Pi4, but occasionally I do lunar and planetary and for high-frame rate video capture the Pi just can't come close. I can get anywhere from 3x to 5x or more frames per second on the miniPC. Once it's out there under the scope there's no point swapping it back out for the Pi.

On the other hand, I use a Pi all the time up at my cabin or on the road because it's so much power efficient. I have no line power at all at the cabin, so everything has to be charged off solar, and I just can't see wasting watts on a miniPC.

I rarely compile anything on the Pi, and just work with the ubuntu repositories. Running KStars is just no trouble at all on the Pi, especially when I'm asleep! The interface is just a little bit laggy compared to the mini, but not so much that it bothers me.
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Scott Denning.
2 months 1 week ago #76140

Time to create page: 0.367 seconds