INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars Mac - Rigel systems N-Step focus motor driver ??

• Thank you received: 1
In the Kstars Mac  Profile Editor  there a  driver for the Rigel systems N-Step focus motor  listed I selected.   But apparently its not actually in the Mac version, as it  (sadly) won't connect to my Rigel Systems motor.   Is there a way to add it to Kstars or plans to add it in the near future?   I've checked cables and connections.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
2 years 5 months ago #76898

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

As there is no reply to my question,,  I've been trying to figure it out..   I've found the github INDI driver for the Rigel  n-step focus motor and the INDI driver 'header' in Kstars INDI directory and confirms it appears it has no 'code' or script.  

Can I copy and past the script in this github page (link below) into a Mac terminal window opened in the INDI directory and will it save and run?   Hopefully its as simple as this.     Or otherwise, how do you install this driver to Kstars Mac Indi directory?   Currently the weather prevents me from just trying out this or other methods and other options.   

github.com/indilib/indi/blob/a6ffc654e24...vers/focuser/nstep.h
2 years 5 months ago #76966

I asked Robert Lancaster about this and he said the driver was already included in MacOS bundle. I will ask him again to double check this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron M
2 years 5 months ago #76987

• Thank you received: 809
I apologize. I have been super busy with work and I haven't had time to do anything much outside of grading and teaching.  But it looks to me like the Rigel nstep driver is definitely included in the MacOS bundle.

I setup a profile with just the simulator CCD and the Rigel n step driver.  

And then I tried to connect:

Now of course, I don't have a Rigel n step focuser, nor do I currently have a serial port connected to my Mac, but it looks like it tried to connect just fine.  The port I was trying to connect to is of course not valid, which I expected.  I think there is also a network option from what I see on the screen.  I don't know anything else about this driver so I don't know that I can be of any more help other than this though.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
2 years 4 months ago #77031
Attachments:

Thanks for replying Rob and looking into this.      I have done the same thing and tried with the Simulator and get a "no connection" error.  both in Kstars versions Mac 3.5.5 and 3.5.3 that I have.    As mentioned in previous post, I also dug into the Mac-INDI directory and find a 'header' (not sure of the term?) but apparently no script to do anything.  This 'driver' also is not under the Rigel heading in the directory list.   I'm no linux guru, and have only fumbled around in Unix a long time ago.  But appears to me the driver script in GitHub never got to the Mac INDI directory.  But I have no idea if that script works or needs work.   Here is all I find,   copied and pasted from my Macs' terminal window:Last login: Tue Oct 26 21:47:21 on ttys001Rons-Mac-mini:~ ursamajor_1$ /Applications/KStars\ 3.5.5.app/Contents/MacOS/indi/indi_nstep_focus ; exit;

I asked previously if I copied the driver script from the GitHub hub link,  if that would work?   I looked at some other drivers in the directory and they seem to have long scripts.  But some others have none similar to the nstep.    I know others have reported the same problem with the Baader Steel track focuser.   So more drivers may be missing than just the Rigel systems driver or maybe there is no Mac compatible driver yet?   Hopefully you can sort this out and let us know what can be done.     your work is much appreciated.      Ron 
2 years 4 months ago #77050

• Thank you received: 52
Hi Ron,

Which version of the nStep? Small in a sleeve or box with buttons? With Wifi?
Does it show with an assigned port under port selector?
Do you see a /dev/tty.usbmodem* and /dev/cu.usbmodem* (on High Siera anyway).
Does it show up in 'About This Mac'->SystemReport->usb ?
You can try talking to it with something like Zterm (or other terminal app that can connect to a usb serial device).
Open ZTerm, select the device, hit a few ctrl-F's, should get an 'S' back for each hit.
2 years 4 months ago #77054

So indi_nstep_focus in the INDI directory that you found is the driver as I pasted in the screenshot I sent as well.  You don’t need any header files as it is an already compiled computer program. There isn’t a script or anything that is human readable because the driver is a compiled program. You don’t need to download anything INDI related to get it to work.  The Mac version of KStars has all these drivers included.   That being said, a number of devices communicate with usb serial or serial connections.  Sometimes they need a separate driver installed so the Mac can communicate over the serial interface.  That is obvious if you are using your own usb serial device, but it isn’t as obvious if the device has a built in usb serial device.  I don’t know anything about this device or this particular driver as I said, but based on other drivers, this might be part of the issue.  If this device has an embedded usb serial device, that should be fairly easy to find out which one and then download and install any needed driver.

I think what gene n said is also very helpful and he sounds like he knows a lot more about this specific driver.

2 years 4 months ago #77063

Thanks Rob, If i get it right you're saying I need a Mac compatible driver for Serial-USB converter for the N-step motor. The Rigel has a serial connection input off the stepper motor and USB 'module' output to the Mac. I know the port and cables all work fine, since everything else in kstars runs fine from that USB port and a hub. The Rigel USB Nstep converter driver is Windows & ASCOM only, which of course is not Mac compatible and why INDI should work instead if the program is in Kstars. I can try it tomorrow with a Mac-compatible Keyspan serial-USB converter which I've used for other astro-devices for years. I'll update with what I find. Ron

--- But it occurs to me now that if it only needed a Mac serial-USB converter then  EKOS should show a Connection made in the Simulator, since there is no actual focuser hardware plugged in.    

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Ron M.
2 years 4 months ago #77064

So as I said, I don't know much about this driver nor the device, but are you sure that there is no driver for its USB-Serial converter, which you called the "module"?  I don't mean an ASCOM or INDI driver to talk to the device with serial commands, we have that, that's not an issue.  It's from the USB-Serial device manufacturer, which most likely isn't Rigel, since they usually use off the shelf parts for that.  You would need to know who made the part.  There almost certainly is a Mac driver for it.  I know one common one I have needed is the Prolific PL2303 driver, and another one is the FTDI driver.  I think my moonlite focuser uses the FTDI driver.  Later in your paragraph you said you could try another serial - usb converter, does the "module" as you called it come off the focuser easily?  I don't think I can take that part out of my moonlite focuser, since it's pretty much built into it.

For the last one I am not sure I know what you mean about the Simulator, some INDI drivers have a button in their INDI Control Panel commands where you can click that to turn on a simulator feature in the driver, is that what you mean?  I just looked at it in a profile I made and I don't see that option.  There is the "Focuser Simulator" driver which is not related to this driver at all, but I don't think that is what you mean.
2 years 4 months ago #77065

Hi Ron,

Be advised I am not a normal MAC user but I am an nStep'er they are my device, circuitboard/firmware and working with Jasem to get the INDI driver running a few years ago.

MAC should need nothing added to be able to see and be able to talk to the device as long as you version OSX supports USB CDC devices. It is not special like FTDI needing a low level driver.

Which version of the nStep? Small in a sleeve or box with buttons? With Wifi?
Does it show with an assigned port under port selector?
Do you see a /dev/tty.usbmodem* and /dev/cu.usbmodem* (on High Siera anyway).
Does it show up in 'About This Mac'->SystemReport->usb ?
You can try talking to it with something like Zterm (or other terminal app that can connect to a usb serial device).
Open ZTerm, select the device, hit a few ctrl-F's, should get an 'S' back for each hit.
2 years 4 months ago #77076

Hi Rob,

Ok, I can confirm that ekos on MAC for nStep is broken.

A port scan returns either (depending on the type of nStep)
/dev/cu.usbmodemXXX
or
/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUARTXXX

The first issue is there are two enumerations in /dev
/dev/tty.* and /dev/cu.*

The /dev/tty.* is the connection point

But even when I force set the port to /dev/tty type I get a yellow when pressing Connect but no errors display

I have tried the above with both enumerations (tty.USBMODEM and tty.SLAB_USBtoUART)

Now I believe the port scan is deep inside indi and not the particular nStep driver, how does INDI for other devices enumerate USB 'serial' tty ports on MAC? How is the CU scanned versus the TTY?

Also, how can the baud rate be selected for these types of devices?
For the nStep, the tty.usbmodem type takes just about anything but the SLAB enumeration requires 9600 baud.
2 years 4 months ago #77081

So it’s been awhile since I did this and I don’t have access to my equipment right now, but if my memory serves me right, when I have connected to my Moonlite from the Mac, yes there are tty and cu listings for the connection.    I’m not sure if I remember right, but I think the cu one worked and the tty one did not.
2 years 4 months ago #77083

Time to create page: 1.281 seconds