INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Indi Support for Bullseye 64 bit RPI4

• Thank you received: 4
Good evening all,

Is the new RPI 4 64 bit version of Bullseye fully supported yet? Have new RPI build loaded and attempted to start a download and install of INDIlib and drivers and getting error messages about compatibility with ARM64.  Not looking to create an Astroberry bootable image but prefer to install the packages I would like to use, e.g. EKOS, PHD2, etc..  I already have a full SkyX install running..  Thanks!

Jay S.
2 years 3 months ago #78267

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If you download and compile INDI, it should work on arm64. There are packages for Ubuntu that are arm64, not Debian 11.
2 years 3 months ago #78273

Jasem.. Thanks.. I don't have experience in compiling INDI and not quite sure where to start.. I do have comp experience in compiling executables, but no clue on INDI.. Was hoping for a more "official" version since a 64 bit Bullseye is now out and running.. I also have an Ubuntu build running so I can check into that.. (Debian just feels "faster" and more responsive) ..  Will look for some but if you have some pointers, I'd appreciate as well. Again thank you for replying..

Jay S.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Jay Sottolano. Reason: Update text
2 years 3 months ago #78287

• Thank you received: 21
2 years 3 months ago #78288

Grimaldi...

Thanks.. Sorry.. Script for Ubuntu or Debian Bullseye?

Jay S.
2 years 3 months ago #78293

• Thank you received: 69
Hi Jay, That script above (I'm to blame for it) was written originally for Ubuntu and run most recently on Ubuntu 20.04.3. It attempts to compile from the Git sources so perhaps it will run on Bullseye 64, Grimaldi likely knows better than I about any pitfalls, but I think it should. Please let me know how it goes, if you attempt it.

Thanks
2 years 3 months ago #78300

I am using it to natively compile on a Raspian (= Debian on Raspberry Pi, I.e. Astroberry) but 32bit (Pi3) and Jay added the few missing packages to the prerequisite section of the script.

So this should work… Let us know which error messages you get, though.
2 years 3 months ago #78314

Jerry/Grimaldi...

First apologies for the delay..  Doing lots of RPI things, working on interior of new observatory and getting ready for Old Man Winter doing outside chores here in Northeast PA..  :-).  So, back to the matter at hand...  Being totally transparent here.  Is it necessary to run the AstroPi3 script first? I've already set up the OS as 64 bit on the RPI and am booting that image to run SkyX, etc..  Was looking to just add the INDI piece...

Also didn't realize VNC is not 64 bit yet, so can't remote access the RPIs from another computer....

Thanks!
Jay S.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Jay Sottolano. Reason: Correction
2 years 3 months ago #78378

• Thank you received: 69
Hi Jay,
Setting up in the snow, here in Nova Scotia. :)

You need a running machine to use this script on top of. I don't think you'd necessarily need to run the AstroPi3 script first, but this "build from nightly" script certainly won't give you a running stable release version. I'm not sure if there would be anything missing if you didn't, as in my case, I did the AstroPi3 script 1st.

BTW, I use NoMachine to remote into the RPi. Requires an install on both the RPi and on your local machine you connect from. So far I'm happy with it.
2 years 3 months ago #78379

Jerry,

Thanks.  Will check out NoMachine.  Ultimately, I will have two RPIs running as I have two piers in the observatory.. I will have ethernet running to each pier and back to a shared switch with a Macbook Pro and external monitor (at least that's the plan) in the warm room.. I normally would use SkyX for everything, but I always like to have options for lots of reasons..  I like PHD2 Multistar for example..  The support (right now) for the Pegasus Ultimate Power Boxes is better in INDI as well for example.  Packages like AstroImager (and assorted other packages from them) on the Mac use INDI...

So as an aside, and given that the new OSs are going to have 64 bit (Raspian is faster than Ubuntu) do we anticipate something more "official"??

Thanks again

Jay S.
2 years 3 months ago #78381

The script builds all indi prerequisites and then Kstars. As Jay pointed out, it‘ll be „nightly builds“, I.e. latest development version. You can issue „git pull <something>“ commands in the respective subdirectories to check-out the stable versions. You need to check on GitHub, which tag/branch to use…

I believe you‘re new to compiling stuff yourself, aren‘t you? This is not for the faint of heart. You may be better off with less hassle, by installing a 32bit OS. Then each process is only able to use 4GB, but the system will use the full 8GB.

It‘ll take a while, till Astroberry will be supporting 64bit, next step is migrating from oldstable (buster) to stable (bullseye). As 64Bit Pis become more common there‘ll be pressure to support it natively. Radek (creator of Astroberry Images) is in favour of a „never change a running system“ policy…
2 years 3 months ago #78427

Grimaldi..

Yes, new to compiling but always up for learning and not opposed to nightly builds.. The beauty of an RPI is just switch Micro SD cards.  ;-).  Are there some "youtube videos" to help get me started?  As for 64 bit.. just about everything going there.. dedicated computers like Fusion and PrimaLuce Eagles, etc. are running 64 bit Linux but with their own software.. Appreciate being "stable" but the sooner testers can get on a 64 bit Astroberry, the better for us all.  I realize the underlying applications all have to feel that way also..  I can run SkyX to do what I need except for remote access to the warm room in the observatory (VNC) .. haven't totally checked out nomachine but looks promising..  Again want to connect to the "remote" RPIs with ethernet, not wireless..

Thanks for all the help!!!

Jay S.
2 years 3 months ago #78431

Time to create page: 0.947 seconds