INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Choice of filter for focusing: change of process?

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Has there been some change in the scheduler process for choice of filter for focusing? I used to set filter manually (to V, I do photometry), then start scheduler, and then focusing was done with V. To keep the V as the focus filter, I make sure all capture sequences end with V-filter, not U, B, R or I. 

However, now, when starting the focus sequence, filter is changed to the first in the capture sequence queue. Or is this just random? Has there been a change, or how is the focus filter selected?

Magnus
2 years 1 month ago #80889

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IIRC, this was indeed changed. What if you set the "lock" filter for the U,B,R, and I filters to "V" in Filter Manager?
2 years 1 month ago #80890

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Thanks, so it is clear. Yes, I can set lock. Or change filter order in my capture sequences so they start rather than end with V :)

Magnus
2 years 1 month ago #80896

• Thank you received: 57
I have also been dismayed by this change because I use filter offsets.

Especially with very small fields and few stars, it's important to focus with L even if I want to image with narrowband. Focusing with narrowband in tiny starless fields will fail almost every time.
2 years 1 month ago #80900

• Thank you received: 565
Scott, 
Re the bug, I understand that Jasem/Wolfgang will be looking into this, but I wanted to make sure you were also aware that you can have different filters use different exposure times for autofocus, so that autofocus can work for narrowband filters. It is in the same filter popup where you set filter focus offsets, etc. FWIW, I regularly focus with narrowband filters (exposing about 10s for them). Here's a screenshot. I honestly can't remember when/how I set these values, so they may be far from optimal for my setup, but anyway, here's where you'd set them.
Hy

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Denning
2 years 1 month ago #81460
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 57
Thanks Hy, I will fall back to this for sure. But the whole point of measuring filter offsets and setting a Lock filter is useless if the Scheduler ignores it and switches to NB anyway.
2 years 1 month ago #81464

Time to create page: 0.489 seconds