INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars-bleeding not starting after install Linux Ubuntu

• Thank you received: 2
I have installed various version of Ubuntu into a VM Virtualbox on my windows machine.
I use the following
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-get update
When I try to install Kstars-bleeding with Indi-full or Indi-full gsc, it will install but will not run.
That is, the icon is there and the app is in the list of apps but it will not start up.
When I hit click on the app, nothing happens.
However, I CAN get a functioning Kstars if I use the intall Kstars instead of install Kstars-bleeding, but when using only Kstars, v 3.4.3 is installed.
Please help!

Thanks
Steve
2 years 1 month ago #81078

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
Apparently this has something to do with Virtualbox - I retried the installation using Parallels as the VM and all goes fine so any help in VirtualBox settings would be appreciated, Thanks!
2 years 1 month ago #81098

• Thank you received: 57
I had this problem after stellarsolver was updated a couple of days ago. It's due to a mismatch between the stable version of Kstars 3.5.7 and the new version of stellarsolver in the ubuntu ppa.

I was able to get Kstars to run only by switching to the "nightly" ppa (3.5.8 beta) as follows:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/indinightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding gsc

Doing this means we're potentially exposed to bugs because we're no longer on the "stable" 3.5.7, but of course if you can't run 3.5.7 air all it hardly qualifies as "stable!"
2 years 1 month ago #81102

• Thank you received: 0
I had this problem, too. It seems to be fixed with the latest kstars-bleeding update/upgrade.

John
2 years 1 month ago #81107

Time to create page: 0.423 seconds