INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Announcing Polar Alignment Changes

• Thank you received: 41
I think that the size changing arrows are very confusing. My preference will be a constant size one, pointing in the direction of the correction. To show the magnitude of the error, perhaps you can use arrow's color. Instead of white, they can be red/yellow/green. If you choose an intermediate size (perhaps not as large as you have shown here), they will be visible from far away. This way you will be looking for "two greens" ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat, Hans, R Dan Nafe
1 year 9 months ago #83447

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223
I second Rafa's comment, the size of the arrows should not change. Maybe have them in a size between the two presented up there in the screenshots so not too big not too small.
I would have the arrows change to a green circle when the polar alignment is within tolerances.
The following user(s) said Thank You: R Dan Nafe
1 year 9 months ago #83839

I think color-coding is probably better.
1 year 9 months ago #83841

• Thank you received: 109
just a thought... If color coding is the direction, allow the user to choose some of the colors to help different contrast settings, color blindness, themes, etc.
1 year 9 months ago #83878

• Thank you received: 2
.This is great, thank you for this great upgrade!

As far as blind plate solving, would you uncheck in Scale and Position the RA and DEC vs leaving that and entering 0? (As read in another thread)..

Also would it be proper to leave the corresponding . update check marks in place?

A side question, are nightly builds equivalent to bleeding builds?

Thx
1 year 8 months ago #83932

• Thank you received: 559
For the plate-solving in polar alignment, I wouldn't change the plate-solve parameters from what already works for you with normal align/plate-solve.
Personally, I tend to use Scale and Position if I'm using the Internal Solver, and I tend to disable (uncheck) them if I use ASTAP, and I tend to use both.
However, if plate solving is not working well, and other things look good (focus, weather), then I'd disable scale and position.

I'm not familiar with the "entering 0" advice, haven't heard about that.
I would keep both update checkboxes checked.

Yes, I think "nightly builds" == "bleeding edge builds".

Hy
1 year 8 months ago #83933

• Thank you received: 2
Thanks for your reply!

That advice was in this thread:

indilib.org/forum/general/11826-nexstar-11-alignment.html#83567
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Gonzothegreat. Reason: edited the URL
1 year 8 months ago #83934

• Thank you received: 54
Thanks for this great new addition to the PAA.

I had the opportunity to test the "Plate Solve" mode yesterday as my PA was off by more ( > 2 degrees ) than my CCD field of view but the "Updated Err:" stop updating/refreshing after a few iterations and even disappeared. Any clue as to why this happened?

Thanks in advance.
1 year 8 months ago #83947

• Thank you received: 226
"Note that, since knobs may be moved during exposures, some images may have large star trails and plate solves may fail. Be patient and allow the system to capture a clean image before relying on the error estimate."
Here's a thought. Stellar Solver is capable of running parallel plate solving operations on the same image with different parameters. But given already established parameters, image scale and location, it might instead be possible to use parallel solvers on different images as the refreshes come in. This way if there is a bad frame, it can automatically be aborted if a more recent frame solves first. Just update the position with the most current successful solution.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Andrew.
1 year 8 months ago #83949

Happy to look at a debug log. Other than that, all I can say is that shouldn't happen.
1 year 8 months ago #83950

• Thank you received: 54
Given that this is a semi-permanent installation I don't need to PA often, but whenever I feel like doing a PA again, I will gladly generate debug logs.

I also made sure that I gave enough time (I hope) between alt-az mount motion before relying on the plate solve results but then. that may not have been enough.

Thanks again.
1 year 8 months ago #83954

I don't think this alt-az movement thing is a big deal. It just means one plate solve may fail due to scope movement, but the next plate-solve comes automatically soon after and will likely succeed.
1 year 8 months ago #83955

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds