INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Indi_vantage_weather - can't connect via USB

• Thank you received: 4
Hi,

I'm having trouble with getting the Indi_vantage_weather driver connected with the Davis Console. I am using the USB Data Logger connector, which is plugged into a USB port on my observatory controller (Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS).

I'm attaching a screenshot that shows the error. I have tried the default port "/dev/vantage", as well as scanning the ports. Seems like the Pi is recognizing the USB device, but it keeps saying it is already being used by another device/driver.

I'm having a suspicion that it has to do with persistent port mapping, but I not very great with Ubuntu yet. Anyone have an idea what to check?

thanks!
1 year 9 months ago #83964
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nobody else has a Davis weatherstation?
1 year 9 months ago #84003

• Thank you received: 54
Did you check if /dev/vantage is pointing to the correct /dev/ttyUSB or /dev/ttyACM device that actually controls your Davis Console?
1 year 9 months ago #84004

Yes, when I list /dev/vantage the symlink points to /dev/ttyUSB0. I have also confirmed that the udev symlink details for 99-vantage.rules are correct and match the device.

But I can't get a connection in the indi_vantage_weather driver using port /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/vantage, or /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_CP2102_USB_to_UART_Bridge_Controller_0001-if00-porto (which is what shows up when I use the auto port scan option in the driver). Is it possible that the /dev/serial/by-id is interfering with the /dev/vantage symlink? Or what else could be causing the error that the port "is already used by another driver or process. "?
1 year 9 months ago #84073

• Thank you received: 54
The " Do Not Use FTDI and Profilic Serial-USB Drivers in the Same Setup" topic (#76705) may provide you with useful information into solving your problem if you have more that 1 /dev/ttyUSB device as there are potential conflicts between FTDI and Prolific serial USB devices. I had such a conflict between my focuser and a non-existent vantage device and removing the /lib/udev/rules.d/99-vantage.rules solved my problem.

I'll let you know if I think of something else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Starman99
1 year 9 months ago #84074

So I finally figured this out. There was a line in the udev GPSD rules file that was using the identical device as the /dev/vantage.
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb" ,ATTRS{idVendor)=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct)=="ea60", GROUP="plugdev", MODE="0666",SYMLINK+="vantage"

I commented it out and rebooted - success! Now I just need to figure out how to hook multiple weather stations into Ekos so that the observatory shuts down before everything gets wet...
1 year 9 months ago #84168

I'm just going to link this thread here as well - same issue. Might help someone down the road :) indilib.org/forum/astroberry/6316-ttyusb...raspi4.html?start=48
1 year 9 months ago #84169

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds