INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] ASI ZWO driver keeps restarting

• Thank you received: 133
Jerry, check the full version of the .so library. Mine is /usr/lib64/libASICamera2.so.1.25.

And I can confirm this update doesn't fix the crash on aarch64. indi_asi_ccd still dies with a SIGBUS.

:(
1 year 8 months ago #84699

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 165
Ah well, just as I feared. If I remember correctly back in the day Linux on ARM used to work in such a way that unaligned memory accesses (trying to access for example 32-bit data that is not in 32-bit aligned address) caused trap in the kernel and depending on options the kernel either fixed up the access or raised SIGBUS as it's usually a bug and slow in any case and older ARM processors didn't support unaligned access at all.

I made a short test program that does exactly this and it works on both my Raspberries (Pi 4 running 64-bit and Pi 3 running 32-bit RaspberryOS). It needs to be renamed to unaligned.c (forum doesn't allow .c files) and compiled with -O0 or the compiler optimizes the access away and just prints the value. It should print "Value 0x8010203". This might be totally red herring and have nothing to do with the issue, but checking that on the problematic platforms would at least narrow the search a bit.

File Attachment:

File Name: unaligned.txt
File Size:0 KB
1 year 8 months ago #84714
Attachments:

"Value 0x8010203" is what I get here (Pi4, openSUSE Tumbleweed 64bit). As reported, on my Pi4 indi_asi_ccd terminates with SIGBUS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarno Paananen
1 year 8 months ago #84716

• Thank you received: 54
I get the "Value 0x8010203" from unaligned.c on an ODroid N2 (Ubuntu Mate 20.04 LTS).

Haven't checked the latest ASI library on that platform though, still running 1.22.
1 year 8 months ago #84717

• Thank you received: 69

I get Value 0x8010203.
on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
Linux 4.9.312-125 aarch64. arm64
1 year 8 months ago #84719

• Thank you received: 0
This is the line in my log file:
[2022-07-26T21:47:14.018 MST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - INDI Server: "2022-07-27T04:47:13: Driver indi_asi_ccd: indi_asi_ccd: symbol lookup error: indi_asi_ccd: undefined symbol: _ZN4INDI3CCD15addFITSKeywordsEP8fitsfilePNS_7CCDChipE"

Running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Kstars Bleeding ...
1 year 8 months ago #84727

The undefined symbol error is common for having a 3rd-party driver and base INDI library out of sync (C++ is notorious for introducing ABI-incompatibilities when pretty much anything in the base class changes), recompiling the 3rd-party driver fixes it.
1 year 8 months ago #84736

I asked ZWO to look into this, and they said they are checking it out. We'll see if they can reproduce the arm64 issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gilles Gagnon
1 year 8 months ago #84758

• Thank you received: 0
I am running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS --- bleeding ...
I'm a bit confused... and a new moon is going to waste.
I think the indi_asi_ccd dirver is closed source and we are dependant on ZWO to fix this.Please confirm.

If I am mistaken and a compile from source will fix this, then I need to verify that this URL links to the latest source building instructions for my architecture.
indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-buil...st-libindi-ekos.html
... finally, Is there a simple way to switch to an earlier INDI version that will allow me to use a 6200MC camera with a CEM40 mount.
Thanks
1 year 8 months ago #84767

No, indi_asi_ccd is open source, but it links against the binary-only libASICamera2, which seems to be the cause of the crashes. So yes, ZWO has to fix this. Recompiling everything yourself won't.
Until then, on aarch64 you need to downgrade to an earlier version of that library (1.22 is safe).
In doubt set your package manager to keep downloaded packages, so you can easily downgrade in case of issues. Can't give you guides to that though, as I'm RPM-based....
If you can compile yourself, it is enough to compile libasi from indi-3rdparty. You just need to check out a version with the proper lib (that would be commit 33bb2a3ec71)
1 year 8 months ago #84770

• Thank you received: 107

Replied by nou on topic ASI ZWO driver keeps restarting

Jasem reverted libASICamera2 to 1.22 for arm8 like hour ago. So compiling latest indi-3rdparty should work now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, Peter Sütterlin
1 year 8 months ago #84771

There is now a new SDK available and change log mentions fixing this issue. I made a pull request at github.com/indilib/indi-3rdparty/pull/626 if you want to test before it's merged to main branch.
1 year 7 months ago #85068

Time to create page: 3.695 seconds