INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Scheduler cannot start, no completion time - Solved

• Thank you received: 9
We'll be running a stand at an event next week and would like to have one scope slewing too different parts of the sky every minute. This will be during the day so it's just a demo for the interest of visitors.
I tried configuring the scheduler by adding 4 locations with RA and DEC. Manually slewing to them works fine. Putting them into the scheduler allows the first then any subsequent target is marked as invalid.

The error is "Warning: Job 'Demo Slew' cannot start because its previous sibling has no completion time, marking invalid."

I'm using a sequence file that just takes one 60s light frame at bin4, which will be ignored.
Any ideas how to get around this please, or is there a better way to do this ?
1 year 6 months ago #86203
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4
The invalid Job has "Repeat until completed" marked. If this is the case for the first job, this could be the problem. Set the checkmark to "Sequence completion" or "1 runs".

If you plan to repeat multiple jobs over and over again i think you have to add them multiple times to the scheduler as it is not possible to repeat the complete schedule as far as i know.

Ciao, Udo
1 year 6 months ago #86205

Thanks for your super-quick reply Udo.
I did try all of those options - especially the repeat until terminated.

I think though your suggestion has helped.

It appears that the Job Completion Options apply to each job, not the list of defined jobs. So the first job had no end time because I created it with the Job Completion option set to repeat until terminated. If I set that first (and subsequent jobs) to Sequence Completion, then it works.

So as you say, it appears I can define jobs here but I cannot run the whole sequence multiple times. If true then that would be an issue for this demo.

Thanks
Damian
1 year 6 months ago #86206

Not really an issue, but a little more work. You should be able to add the same job over and over again to run your demo for a sufficient amount of time.

You have to uncheck the automatic sort option "Sort jobs by altitude and priority" in the Ekos->Scheduler Settings to prevent EKOS from sorting. Restarting EKOS/K-Stars is required for this change to be effective.

The schedulers .esl file is simple text. Each single job is between <Job> and </Job> Tags. You can edit this file with a texteditor and just copy the jobs there. Loading such a modified job takes some time when a huge number of jobs is included. But you should be able to generate a schedule that runs at least for an hour or so.

Ciao, Udo
1 year 6 months ago #86208

I was already editing the XML as you typed that. Thanks.
Also fixed the options as you mentioned.
Still having problems with it.
Not sure whether I can have several jobs with same name so have numbered them.
Executing the jobs now fails as all are in state idle and there is apparently nothing more to do.
Will need to sit down with the manual for a while.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Damian.
1 year 6 months ago #86212

You can have multiple jobs with the same object/name.
I have tried this and it works for me. But i had to be sure to disable all job constraints (e.g. Twilight). You can check which constrains/settings are active by clicking on a job in the scheduler queue. If the status is idle normally some constraint is not met. Altitude? Twilight? Something like this.

Ciao, Udo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damian
1 year 6 months ago #86213

• Thank you received: 559
Please attach the .esl and .esq files, your approximate location, and the time you want to run the demo.
Also remember that if you have constraints like twilight & altitude remember to set the time to the time you will be running if you are testing in advance.
1 year 6 months ago #86214

Thanks for your replies. I had unset all constraints.

The demo is on 18th Sep from 10:30am - 5pm GMT. Location is 51N 1.5W.

I'll attach the two files.

File Attachment:

File Name: demo_slew.tgz
File Size:1 KB
1 year 6 months ago #86216
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 559
I tried your .esq and .esl files with your geography and times and things seemed to look OK with the schedule.
Is there an issue with the schedule that you are seeing (what I see is below).

You could (should) practice a day or week in advance and make sure things are OK.
I assume you are going to cover your telescope (so you don't wind up accidentally pointing at the sun).

Also, I didn't look closely, but are some of your targets below the horizon during the demo?
You should probably pick targets with positive altitudes.

If you've done any editing to the .esq/esl file, I'd highly recommend you read it in to the program, and then write it back out via the program the standard ways, instead of executing hand-edited files.

I'd also recommend you disable "remember job progress" as I assume you'll restart the job every time it completes (as we don't have a "repeat the entire schedule" feature.
See below

Here is what my screen looks like:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Damian
1 year 6 months ago #86253
Attachments:

Thanks for checking and suggesting the option changes Hy. I've been re-jigging power distribution and have the rig back up again today.

It was the "Remember job progress" that was tripping me up. The sequence ran once then refused to run again. Sorted now.

Udo you're right, you can have the same name for jobs but I had to unselect the option "Sort Jobs by Alt & Prio".

I remember as a kid being allowed to control one of the smaller radio antenna (a 5m dish IIRC) at a visit to Jodrell Bank. I'll never forget it. Perhaps we can let young visitors to the stand pick a star in Kstars and we'll have the OTA slew to it. Unending possibilities.

So, Happy Bunny and thanks for your help :)
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Damian. Reason: changing topic name
1 year 6 months ago #86288

Time to create page: 0.613 seconds