INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

MeLE Quieter 3Q vs 3C

• Thank you received: 69
I thought I'd start a new thread to remove this from battery selection (somewhat).

I've been sitting on the fence on getting a fanless MeLE Quieter3Q, as heat issues aren't that significant in Canada :)

I wondered about powering the Quieter 3Q from my Pegasus PPBa and asked about it on amazon. Here is their response:

[em]If i have a separate astronomy power supply unit supplying 12 v at 2 a, can i power this quieter3q via a usb-c cable from this unit?.[/em]

Answers to your question

[em]"hi,thank you so muc for your inquiry, MeLE Quieter3Q has two version, the version before August does not USB-C PD3.0, with the high demands on usb pd3.0, the newer version after August supports PD3.0. Now the two batches are mixed on our stock, we are not sure which version will arrive. MeLE Quieter3Q needs power supply in 12V 2A in thoery, it should work with astronomy power supply unit supplying 12 v at 2 a, but if it fails to power on,must be related to the PD protocol. if you must connect the mini pc with a third part power supply,we suggest you purchase MeLE Quieter,which we can confirm its usb-c port support PD 3.0, video display and data trasmit."[/em]
www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B765VF84?ref=myi_title_dp . This link actually points to a Quieter3C

So with the loss of 1 usb port, I'm now contemplating the 3C. With the PPBa, I would end up with 8 ports which what I need, given I could skip the USB wifi stick my Odroid-N2 requires. (camera, guide camera, mount, gps, focuser, PPBa 2 ports, external SSD).
That leaves the USB-C port (front left) unused, as I'm not sure that anything I have could negotiate the PD power request.

Geekbench results suggest the N5105 is about 2x that of my Odroid-N2 (but more expensive).
I would, like others here, add Ubuntu (on an internal boot SSD).

So is choosing the 3C is as good a choice as the 3Q?
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Jerry Black.
1 year 4 months ago #88079

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 54

Replied by Gilles Gagnon on topic MeLE Quieter 3Q vs 3C

Hi Jerry,

As I mentioned in the recent powerbank post, I run a Mele Quieter 3Q (the 3C was not available at the time) and it runs without any issue via a PPBA with my 12V LiFePO4 battery but I had to make/convert a USB-C cable such that one end is USB-C (for the Quieter) and the other end is 5.5-2.1mm round connector that connects to the PPBA.

Now that the Quieter 3C is available, it will likely make life simpler by being able to use USB PD powerbanks. The only drawback I can see is that you may require either a big powerbank or a number of them so you can run PC, mount, cameras, focuser, dew heaters, etc... since all that equipment may require a fair bit of power to operate. But... it would make for a nice portable astrophotography system as a few powerbanks are much lighter that my LiFePO4 battery.

Keep us posted with your decision and findings.
1 year 4 months ago #88081

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by Thomas Mason on topic MeLE Quieter 3Q vs 3C

I run my Mele 3Q via PPBA connected with a 12V to USB-C cable. The PPBA is powered by a 12A, 12V DC power supply. Works great, I got a 1 TB Samsung EVO plus SSD and installed Ubuntu 22.04 on it. I left windows 11 on the Mele built in drive so I can dual boot into windows if I need to flash firmware. It’s a great little mini pc for this purpose.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Thomas Mason.
1 year 4 months ago #88084

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Jerry Black on topic MeLE Quieter 3Q vs 3C

Thanks Gilles and Thomas for the feedback, much appreciated.

I think I'll try the MeLE Quieter 3C, but still trying to figure out how to power it from my PegasusAstro PowerBoxAdv which provides 12V output via 5.5/2.1 mm male connectors.

Thomas - which 12V to USB-C cable did you get?
I was thinking this would work. shop.allnetchina.cn/products/dc-5-5-2-1m...t-to-usb-c-converter
1 year 4 months ago #88090

Jerry, from post #88080 about Airports, power etc..., you can look at this adaptor too: a.aliexpress.com/_EyWtybP . That may be another option.
1 year 4 months ago #88092

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by Thomas Mason on topic MeLE Quieter 3Q vs 3C

I didn’t use a converter - just a straight through cable. Since I have a 3Q don’t have to worry about PD, just need 12 V. These also work:

smile.amazon.com/Adapter-Traodin-5-5x2-1...d=1668347508&sr=8-13
1 year 4 months ago #88093

• Thank you received: 1
Not worried about the description saying it is for 5V only? They probably don't mean that it can't handle any higher voltages, and are only saying that it don't have any PD circuit and that it won't negotiate for higher voltages. Maybe I am the only one to think that it could have been formulated more clearly.
1 year 4 months ago #88094

Maybe it's more of a warning, to protect themselves, for those who would think of using that to charge their phone... but distractedly plug it into a 9 or 12v source instead of a 5v source.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Gilles Gagnon.
1 year 4 months ago #88095

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds