INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to back up SD card

• Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

How do guys make a back up copy of your SD card for Astroberry? Is it even possible? Or is there a con fig file that you can make a copy of? I don't want to lose all my settings.

Regards,

Jess
1 year 2 months ago #89801

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
Yes, I do periodic backups of my SD card. This way, if a new KStars/Ekos version causes any problems, I can always go back to a working installation.

After inserting the SD card into a card reader, which is plugged into my Linux machine, I run
sudo dd if=/dev/sdX of=backup.img bs=1M status=progress
(replace the "X" in /dev/sdX with the actual drive letter that's shown by the dmesg command after you have inserted your SD card into a card reader.)

Optionally, compress the image with a file compression tool of your choice. (For best compression results, I first delete all FITS files from the SD card and run zerofree on the loopback-mounted SD-card image to fill unused file system blocks with zeros. This brings the backup image size down from an uncompressed 64 GBytes to around 6 GBytes.)

For other operating systems, see here for ways to back up SD cards .

Axel
1 year 2 months ago #89805

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Hartmut on topic How to back up SD card

There is a simple copy tool which comes with Astroberry.
Just use the "SD Card Copier" from the menu. Found only a screenshot from a german version but you will find it.
PlugIn an empty SD card from Size or bigger into a USB-SD card adapter and plugin the adapter into an USB3 port.

1 year 2 months ago #89821
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.595 seconds