INDI Library v1.9.8 Released (29 Sep 2022)

Bi-monthly INDI Library released with new drivers and bug fixes.

Troubles with asi driver (or Ekos)

• Thank you received: 51
Well I spoke too quickly. The connection of the camera on USB3 port works fine. But I have some unexpected infinite loops on the exposure when I test with the preview.
And unfortunately the connection problem came back again.give it:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Patrick.
6 years 4 months ago #9289

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I have 120MC connected right now via USB3 and it works flawlessly. Try changing USB cable and USB ports. If none of that helps, contact ASI and report the issue.
Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?
Add your observatory info
6 years 4 months ago #9290

• Thank you received: 1
I also have a 178MM-Cool and have the double exposure problem. Later tonight I will get a debug log of the problem and post it here.

edit: Here is the log of two 10 second exposures. The first worked as expected, the second restarted.
INFO	21.962204 sec	: Session log file /tmp/indi_asi_ccd_2016-07-14T03:16:46.log
DEBUG	33.277527 sec	: Toggle Logging Level -- Driver Debug
DEBUG	34.303791 sec	: Toggle Debug Level -- Driver Debug
INFO	55.458702 sec	: Taking a 10 seconds frame...
INFO	65.563246 sec	: Exposure done, downloading image...
INFO	65.566415 sec	: Download complete.
INFO	99.850020 sec	: Taking a 10 seconds frame...
DEBUG	109.976306 sec	: ASIGetExpStatus failed (0). Restarting exposure...
INFO	110.084798 sec	: Taking a 10 seconds frame...
INFO	120.219722 sec	: Exposure done, downloading image...
INFO	120.220556 sec	: Download complete.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Dylan Johnson. Reason: log file
6 years 4 months ago #9294

Hello Dgj,
Have you the same problem connecting to the USB3 port ?
I mean the crash of the indi_asi_ccd driver when I click the connect button.

Another problem: when I ask to switch to 16bits coding the ASI178MM (14 bits encoder) camera I get this message:
2016-07-14T06:44:09: 16 bit bayer format RGGB it not supported by the SER recorder.
Is it information or a rejection ?
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Patrick.
6 years 4 months ago #9295

When I first got my 178MM I had problems connecting via USB3. The light indicator next to the connect button would turn red instead of green. I don't recall if indi_asi_ccd would crash, but I was able to fix it by going to the options tab in the indi control panel and loading a configuration (if no config hit 'default' then 'save') before clicking the connect button. After this I was able to just hit the connect button without loading a configuration.

As for the double exposure problem, I have investigated the ASIGetExpStatus() function. Seems new, no one else I can see has used it and made it open source. I have emailed Sam Wen at ZWO asking him if he knows why status is set to ASI_EXP_FAILURE. I will post back with what he has to say about it.
6 years 4 months ago #9296

• Thank you received: 12
Guys
Not having the exact problem as yours but just want to let you know i got my problem resolved:

I run sudo apt-cache policy indi-asi

and found it shows installed: none
so i run the apt-get install again and now it works fine again

thanks knro
6 years 4 months ago #9300

After running 'apt-cache policy indi-asi' it was showing installed: none for me also. I installed indi-asi (which replaced the indi-asicam package that came pre installed in the Ekos VM) and when I attempted to connect to the camera indi_asi_ccd crashed.

I decided to instead build indi_asi_ccd myself so I downloaded indilib from git, built and installed it. I am back to the double exposure problem.
6 years 4 months ago #9305

Tests continue

First I confirm what you said dgj. Doing a "save config" fix the crash. Need not to forget it. But this is a workaround :(
What that doesn't work is the double shot in exposure. I tried to take a sequence and I had two shots for each pics. It could be loooooooong to get a real sequence on deep sky. dgj Have you any answer from Sam Wen about it ?
6 years 4 months ago #9306

He says he has delegated the problem to one of his colleagues, Yang. I will post here when I get more information.

Quick update: We spoke with Rumen, the developer of Lin-guider, about what the problem might be as his software supports many ASI cameras also. I'll be trying out the ASI178 with Lin-guider and hopefully this will help us pinpoint the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Dylan Johnson.
6 years 4 months ago #9307

:( I can't use my ZWO 178MM.
I made lot of tests. I have always the same problem even after two updates.
On usb 2.0 for a sequence the process takes the first image and does two exposures for each following images.
On usb 3.0 for a sequence the process goes directely into an infinite loop exposure to exposure and exposure and so on.
I hope Sam will quickly find a solution. Some nice nights with less moon are coming next week and I today I can't make images.
I will post this message also on the zwo forum.
6 years 4 months ago #9367

Something else I found in kstars device manager: In the ZWO pad the AD conversion level (8bits or 16bits) is not saved when I ask to save the configuration. I have to do the choice each time I restart kstars.
6 years 4 months ago #9368

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds