INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Troubles with asi driver (or Ekos)

• Thank you received: 51
Well I spoke too quickly. The connection of the camera on USB3 port works fine. But I have some unexpected infinite loops on the exposure when I test with the preview.
And unfortunately the connection problem came back again.give it:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Patrick.
7 years 8 months ago #9289

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I have 120MC connected right now via USB3 and it works flawlessly. Try changing USB cable and USB ports. If none of that helps, contact ASI and report the issue.
7 years 8 months ago #9290

• Thank you received: 1
I also have a 178MM-Cool and have the double exposure problem. Later tonight I will get a debug log of the problem and post it here.

edit: Here is the log of two 10 second exposures. The first worked as expected, the second restarted.
INFO	21.962204 sec	: Session log file /tmp/indi_asi_ccd_2016-07-14T03:16:46.log
DEBUG	33.277527 sec	: Toggle Logging Level -- Driver Debug
DEBUG	34.303791 sec	: Toggle Debug Level -- Driver Debug
INFO	55.458702 sec	: Taking a 10 seconds frame...
INFO	65.563246 sec	: Exposure done, downloading image...
INFO	65.566415 sec	: Download complete.
INFO	99.850020 sec	: Taking a 10 seconds frame...
DEBUG	109.976306 sec	: ASIGetExpStatus failed (0). Restarting exposure...
INFO	110.084798 sec	: Taking a 10 seconds frame...
INFO	120.219722 sec	: Exposure done, downloading image...
INFO	120.220556 sec	: Download complete.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Dylan Johnson. Reason: log file
7 years 8 months ago #9294

Hello Dgj,
Have you the same problem connecting to the USB3 port ?
I mean the crash of the indi_asi_ccd driver when I click the connect button.

Another problem: when I ask to switch to 16bits coding the ASI178MM (14 bits encoder) camera I get this message:
2016-07-14T06:44:09: 16 bit bayer format RGGB it not supported by the SER recorder.
Is it information or a rejection ?
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Patrick.
7 years 8 months ago #9295

When I first got my 178MM I had problems connecting via USB3. The light indicator next to the connect button would turn red instead of green. I don't recall if indi_asi_ccd would crash, but I was able to fix it by going to the options tab in the indi control panel and loading a configuration (if no config hit 'default' then 'save') before clicking the connect button. After this I was able to just hit the connect button without loading a configuration.

As for the double exposure problem, I have investigated the ASIGetExpStatus() function. Seems new, no one else I can see has used it and made it open source. I have emailed Sam Wen at ZWO asking him if he knows why status is set to ASI_EXP_FAILURE. I will post back with what he has to say about it.
7 years 8 months ago #9296

• Thank you received: 12
Guys
Not having the exact problem as yours but just want to let you know i got my problem resolved:

I run sudo apt-cache policy indi-asi

and found it shows installed: none
so i run the apt-get install again and now it works fine again

thanks knro
7 years 8 months ago #9300

After running 'apt-cache policy indi-asi' it was showing installed: none for me also. I installed indi-asi (which replaced the indi-asicam package that came pre installed in the Ekos VM) and when I attempted to connect to the camera indi_asi_ccd crashed.

I decided to instead build indi_asi_ccd myself so I downloaded indilib from git, built and installed it. I am back to the double exposure problem.
7 years 8 months ago #9305

Tests continue

First I confirm what you said dgj. Doing a "save config" fix the crash. Need not to forget it. But this is a workaround :(
What that doesn't work is the double shot in exposure. I tried to take a sequence and I had two shots for each pics. It could be loooooooong to get a real sequence on deep sky. dgj Have you any answer from Sam Wen about it ?
7 years 8 months ago #9306

He says he has delegated the problem to one of his colleagues, Yang. I will post here when I get more information.

Quick update: We spoke with Rumen, the developer of Lin-guider, about what the problem might be as his software supports many ASI cameras also. I'll be trying out the ASI178 with Lin-guider and hopefully this will help us pinpoint the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Dylan Johnson.
7 years 8 months ago #9307

:( I can't use my ZWO 178MM.
I made lot of tests. I have always the same problem even after two updates.
On usb 2.0 for a sequence the process takes the first image and does two exposures for each following images.
On usb 3.0 for a sequence the process goes directely into an infinite loop exposure to exposure and exposure and so on.
I hope Sam will quickly find a solution. Some nice nights with less moon are coming next week and I today I can't make images.
I will post this message also on the zwo forum.
7 years 8 months ago #9367

Something else I found in kstars device manager: In the ZWO pad the AD conversion level (8bits or 16bits) is not saved when I ask to save the configuration. I have to do the choice each time I restart kstars.
7 years 8 months ago #9368

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds