INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

focuser and lx90 crash

• Thank you received: 0

focuser and lx90 crash was created by jon

I recently made a arduino focuser using the sketch and information I found in this forum by Patdut. It works fine by itself.

Prior to adding the focuser I had used EKOS to successfully run my Meade LX90 Autostar scope and Atik 314 camera for a few weeks trying out the new software with no major problems other than learning what each of the modules did and how to use them. Everything I tried including guiding with a Meade DSI2 , plate solving , taking images etc,worked without a problem.

I should add that I am using Linux Mint 18 and the latest downloads of indi full and kstars bleeding. If it matters, the equipment connects to the computer via ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1. The cameras and focuser use a powered hub and the scope simply plugs into a separate usb port through a serial/usb adapter cord.

The problem developed when i added the arduino moonlight focuser. When it is connected to the computer and everything is trying to work, together for a minute or so I get warning messages that the scope driver has crashed, followed by the focuser warning messages about temperature location etc. Just before the scope driver crashes I also get warnings that the system can't read the telescopes RA/ DEC or the time and date. At this point the scope and focuser will not work. i didn't test the cameras.

Apparently the focuser module and the telescope module along with their hardware conflict.

Trying to figure out what was wrong I brought the focuser motor and the arduino and stepper driver into the house and tried to test them. i was surprised to find that the focuser by itself connected to EKOS fine and worked correctly. I don't know why but I pressed the button to connect the scope (which was outside in the observatory) the lights turned green and it indicated that it was connected too. Then the system crashed with the warnings I'd seen in the observatory.

Can any of you with more computer experience give me a clue regarding what I can do? I know I can get along with out it but I really like the idea of autofocus and focusing between subs.

Thanks for any help
Jon
7 years 4 months ago #12578

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 4 months ago #12582

Replied by jon on topic focuser and lx90 crash

Thanks for showing me how to use the logs. Here is one from today’s attempts.
Jon
7 years 4 months ago #12604
Attachments:

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic focuser and lx90 crash

Thanks for the logs. It appears the focuser might be causing a conflict with the LX90, are they using different ports? If you use the focuser alone, or the mount alone, then everything works fine?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jon
7 years 4 months ago #12610

Prior to adding the focuser the telescope and cameras worked fine. If I only connect the focuser without connecting the telescope it also works fine. The telescope uses the autostar handbox connected to the computer via a usb/serial converter cord and utilized either ttyusb0 or ttyusb1. I do not seem to have any control over which port it uses. The focuser connects to the computer through a powered hub and a different physical usb port. Again it connects using either ttyusb0 or ttyusb1. I do not know if they always connect via the same ttyusb port at the same time but I do know that sometimes they do not. So, yes either alone work fine.
7 years 4 months ago #12626

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic focuser and lx90 crash

You might want to try Persistent serial port mappings tutorial in order to assign a permanent name to them. This way you can avoid such conflict and it might resolve your issue.
7 years 4 months ago #12627

Jasem:

Thanks. I will try it and see what happens.

Jon
7 years 4 months ago #12635

Jasem:

i finally was able to try out the persistent port mapping per the link you supplied. I was not able to get that to work for me.

This is the example shown on the linked page I received from you. As I said it did not work for me. I do not know why.
# MoonLite Focuser
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", ATTRS{serial}=="A501T0P9", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="focuser"

This is an example I found on the Linux Mint forum. It did work as shown once I inserted the ids for my devices. The only difference I see is this part ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device"

# Moonlight Focuser

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1a86", ATTRS{idProduct}=="7523", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="focuser"

I do not know why the first one did not work, possibly something changed in Mint 18 that prevented it as numerous examples on the net are identical to your version.

Now for a clear night and I can try it all together. The only problem I still have is that I have to manually change the permissions of ttyusb0 and ttyusb1 each time I start up EKOS even though they both show the group as dialout.

Thanks for the help
Jon
7 years 4 months ago #12802

• Thank you received: 21

Replied by Philippe on topic focuser and lx90 crash

Jon.
You wrote both tty interfaces are in dialout group that correct but what about your user account?
Did you add your user account in the dialout group?
If I'm correct the command is :
sudo usermod -a -G dialout yourusername

For udev are you sure the serial number of your connected unit is "A501T0P9" ? That could be your issue.
Regards
Philippe
Philippe Besson
Skywatcher HEQ5, Televue 101-IS, Takahashi FS-60CB
Focus Boss II with OptecInc TCF-S focuser and Starlight Instruments HSM20 handy stepper motor
Guiding camera ZWO ASI120MM
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
The following user(s) said Thank You: jon
7 years 4 months ago #12807

Philippe :

I just checked again and my user name is listed in the dialout group.
I did not use a serial number for either my focuser or mount in rules.d as both were identical and would not serve to identify one from the other. Many examples I saw on the internet including those already installed by EKOS in rules.d did not list a serial number. But I can try that even though they are identical and see if it makes a difference.

Right now, if I plug in both usb devices plugs one after the other, with the computer running, and set my permissions manually for ttyusb0 and ttyusb1both devices function correctly.
The rules.d file is in at least two places on my computer, once under /etc/udev/rules.d and a second under /lib/udev/rules.d/. Do I need to install a new "my observatory-rules.d " in each place? Right now I only put the new file in lib/udev/rules.d/.
Thanks
Jon
7 years 4 months ago #12818

• Thank you received: 21

Replied by Philippe on topic focuser and lx90 crash

Hi Jon.
Looks strange you're in dialout group and have to change the permission. I don't have enough knowledge to guess what could occur. No clue.

Related to the udev's folder, I had an issu within Ubuntu 16.10 and I've copied the rules files in /etc/udev/rules.d and then it works, but no idea why. I've don't find explanation about that.
Unfortunatelly I don't have other suggestion for you.

Regards
Philippe Besson
Skywatcher HEQ5, Televue 101-IS, Takahashi FS-60CB
Focus Boss II with OptecInc TCF-S focuser and Starlight Instruments HSM20 handy stepper motor
Guiding camera ZWO ASI120MM
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
7 years 4 months ago #12819

Philippe :
I agree that it is strange. I had the same thoughts about the rules.d. Jasem and most of the sources for the format of the rule I needed to write were in agreement on a working syntex but I could not get it to work for me. I love linux but still don't have a good knowledge of what works and what does not work, so I try different things until something works for me. I will go back to the Linux Mint forum and put in a question regarding the permissions and see what I can find.

Thanks
Jon
7 years 4 months ago #12822

Time to create page: 1.128 seconds