INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Raspberry PI Beginner's Guide

• Thank you received: 1
Dear James Taylor,
All I can say is what a brilliant tutorial. It is so easy and simple to understand. I have now a wonderful setup on the Pi. It works flawless. I am very impressed and welldone.

One question is there a way I can save the fits files to my mac automatically. Maybe i missed the tutorial.

Man I am so happy with this. Please keep up the great work.

Jumans
7 years 3 months ago #13094

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6
Hi James

Can you give some feedback on the performance of the Pi3, when running KStars+Ekos directly on it?

Currently I'm running only the INDI drivers and server on a Pi2, then via wifi I connect to the Pi2 from a laptop running KStars and Ekos.

But I would very much like to have the entire setup running on a single embedded device (Pi3, Odroid C2 or XU4), in order to get rid of the file transfer latency caused by the rather slow networking capabilities of the Pi, and to ensure guiding, Capture, etc. keeps running even if I loose the network connection. Wifi isn't always as reliable as we would like ;-)

I can't really decide wether to go for Pi3, Odroid C2 or Odroid XU4.... I'm leaning towards Odroid XU4 becasue of it's CPU power and USB3 capabilities... But it's a rather new platform, and it's not as well supported as the Pi's...

best regards
Anders Lange
7 years 1 month ago #14190

Hi Anders,

I have a Pi3 and I am very please with the performance. I use WIFI and have had no issues yet. What I do have issues with is the mini micro USB power point. This gets loose over time and tends to pull out or fall out. I am looking for a better connecting or connect by the gpio connection.

Apart from that all good
Jumans
7 years 1 month ago #14191

Hi Jumans
Are you running Kstars and Ekos on the Pi3, or just the INDI drivers and server?
7 years 1 month ago #14192

Yes all,

Kstars Ekos and INDI. Very impressed by the setup. The other thing you need to look at is to where to mount the Pi3. At the moment i have it on the side. But looking to piggy back the telescope.
7 years 1 month ago #14193

Thanks for your answers :-)
Just another one; what kind of storage are you using on your Pi3?

I'm currently using a Pi2, its sitting in my battery box on the ground beneath my tripod. So I have all cables arranged into a single cable going down to my batterybox.
7 years 1 month ago #14194

No mine is messy. I have a canon, usb and power going to the middle of the scope and the Pi is strapped on the side of the HEQ5, just using a normal Pi case which is velcro to the mount. I think I need to redesign the cables and make them one set of cable, but time will tell. Also using 64GB as strorage, as half is full already with Kstars and offline files.

Hope that helps. Nice thing is that the Pi3 is an excellent price and a good workhorse.

Cheers

Jumans
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anders Lange
7 years 1 month ago #14195

• Thank you received: 375

I have been running such a setup for a few months. It works very well, including plate solving with astrometry and guiding with PHD2. I control everything with VNC over WiFi. No problems whatsoever. There is enough computing power provided by RPi3. The bottleneck is VNC, which is not too fast with 1920x1080 resolution, but I do not expect 60fps anyway ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anders Lange
7 years 1 month ago #14196

• Thank you received: 0
Hello,

Hoping that topic is still open and still of interest :-).
I'd be interested, please, if Ekos could work also with the Rapsicam (the RPi camera module ).
Thank you in advance for your support and feedback.

Catalin
5 years 1 month ago #34270

• Thank you received: 375
AFAIK there's no dedicated INDI driver for raspicam, but you can try using generic V4L2 driver. This would however require some additional configuration for raspicam.
I would suggest some research on v4l2+raspicam. As soon as you get the raspicam available as /dev/video0 device you're home.
5 years 1 month ago #34274

Time to create page: 0.929 seconds