INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

V4L2 + LX mod

• Thank you received: 3

V4L2 + LX mod was created by David

Hello everyone.

I've been trying on-and-off for the last few weeks to get INDI set up on my linux box to drive my LX modded Philips webcam (using indi_v4l2_ccd).

The 0.97 release appeared promising, running well and acquiring non-LX images, but when I looked into the code, it appears only LED control (my webcam is RTS control) was coded for during that release. I added my own RTS-controlling code to that release, but it didn't work as it seems only IO_MODE_READ works for LX capture, which doesn't seem implemented.

I've seen there's been work on that section of code in the meantime and I've tried the latest SVN version, but the driver gets stuck repeating indi_v4l2_ccd: Control Class User Controls.

Before I dive in and spend more time hacking it around, is anyone working on this who could guide me (or correct me ;) ) as to the best approach, or revision number, and where the codebase is presently?

Many thanks in advance,

David.
10 years 3 months ago #542

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 88

Replied by Jean-Luc on topic V4L2 + LX mod

Hi,
I've started to adapt the previous indi v4l driver to the newer indi ccd framework but this is still very unmature. I also use a Philips webcam, modded for LX using the LED control. We recently change the camera control enumeration to work with more recent uvc cameras and it seems that the pwc driver gets stuck now with this new scheme. I have'nt tested it after the mod, I just did and I get the same behavior. I will have a look to the problem asap.
Concerning LX control, the svn version implements the serial control through RTS/DCD. I just test it with a simple breadboard, an optocoupler and a led. Note that the LX control tab is only opened for cameras which uses the pwc driver as it may be confusing when exposure can be directly set through the normal driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David
10 years 3 months ago #551

• Thank you received: 88

Replied by Jean-Luc on topic V4L2 + LX mod

The bug is corrected in the last svn version.

Can you give some feedback about the LX Serial mode ?

Thanks.
10 years 2 months ago #556

Replied by David on topic V4L2 + LX mod

Hi geehalel,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've not had much time to look at this yet this week, but I've just done a new checkout and I'm able to snap an image, so the initialisation bug appears to have gone.

The LX mode doesn't seem to work yet, so I'll run some tests on that next. I had found the capture mode had to be _READ instead of _MMAP when I wrote a test program, so it could be I just need to implement that method.

I'll let you know when I've had a chance to debug fully.

Many thanks again,

David.
10 years 2 months ago #557

Hi again geehalel,

I've had a chance to do some more work on this and can confirm the current SVN version (1404) correctly sends the RTS signal (although a typo in startLxSerial() means DTR and RTS are both set when DTR is selected -- it's a repeat of LxLogicalLevelS[0] on line 456).

Unfortunately it has no effect on the image captured. This is exactly what I've seen in my own trials when using IO_METHOD_MMAP. I've tried setting the method to _READ, but this doesn't appear fully implemented (the driver hangs).

Do you have any ideas how to get _MMAP to work, or equally, what I'd need to do to debug the _READ version? I'll concentrate on the latter for the time being, although I'm not 100% sure how to get the timing right.

Thanks again,

David.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by David.
10 years 2 months ago #566

I'm going to leave the following link to a thread that picks up this issue, should anyone find this thread first.

www.indilib.org/forum/general/253-some-i...s.html?start=18#1073
9 years 11 months ago #1074

Time to create page: 0.748 seconds