INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Odroid Xu4 USB3 and ASI camera

• Thank you received: 1

Allready made the 2 first step, have to try the third one.

Many thanks for your answers!
4 years 10 months ago #38666

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
I used to use an ASI120MC-S (USB3 version) on an RPi3 running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 without any problems whatsoever. I switched to a mini-pc because that one has 4 Gb of memory which makes operating it smoother. But apart from having only 1 Gb of memory the RPi has always performed flawlessly.

By the way, I initially installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on the RPi and then upgraded to 18.04 manually.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 10 months ago #38667

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic Odroid Xu4 USB3 and ASI camera

Thanks! One more step, make sure it's on 8 bit mode.
4 years 10 months ago #38672

• Thank you received: 138
I think I may be getting to the bottom of this, there are two very similar cameras:

The ZWO ASI 120MM USB 2.0. This is a large diameter short camera with a T mount. It doesn't work although it might be persuaded to do so by installing different firmware.

The ZWO ASI 120MM MINI USB 2.0. Ths is an eyepiece sized longer camera, it has a C mount. This does work with the RasPi and ZWO bundle it with their ASIAir version.

The one I'm thinking of getting is the second, the MINI version. The ZWO forum and their support is pretty unequivocal that the 120mm mini works and the 120mm doesn't, at least with ASIAir.

Has anyone used the ASI120MM MINI with vanilla INDI rather than ASIAir?
4 years 10 months ago #38680

Yop...sadly, it happens to me.... Grrrr

Ok, I confirm :
No hub and nothing else. I'm testing the camera on RPi3B+ alone by day (right now).
Bandwidth is on 40, Depth on 8bit.

And it doesn't work.

I allready flash the firmware but how can I be sure that it is the good one ?
I tried many parameters : restrict to 640x480, in strealming AND picture controls. I move bandwidht too but go back to 40 and even tried 16bit mode ;-)

Here is cpature of my ekos sreen with the puzzle...I have an average of 1/4 images like this.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by David.
4 years 10 months ago #38683
Attachments:

I had an ASI120MC (USB2 version) as well and flashed it but never got it to work on Linux. Others on this forum have flashed it successfully. I guess your mileage may vary.

However, there is a third version: the ASI120MC-S (USB3). This one does work on Linux. I can confirm this because I have two and I use them all the time.

To my best of knowledge the ASI120MC MINI works on Linux but I am not 100% sure.

By the way, apart from the color version (MC) there also is a black and white version (MM) and all that I wrote applies to that as well, apart from the fact that I own or have owned one.

Wouter
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
4 years 10 months ago #38686

• Thank you received: 140

There is no such camera as the 120mc mini, they only make a mono version of this mini camera.. :)
4 years 10 months ago #38687

Thanks for the correction!
4 years 10 months ago #38693

And how about Bin 2x2? Did you try it? This reduces the image size and it should at least solve the "puzzle".
I always use mine at 2x2. Also 0.02s exposure is too fast for that camera in picture mode. The minimum
safest exposure I tested was 0.5s. Anything faster than this gives that puzzle. It's too fast for USB2.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by nMAC.
4 years 10 months ago #38707

Yes I tried binning too. But this is a software binning and I 'm not sure it is done in the camera before it send images via USB.
4 years 10 months ago #38708

• Thank you received: 138
Well, I bought an ASI 120MM Mini and it works with the RasPi.

I had to rebuild the driver from the sources but I guess that's because I've been rebuilding Indilib and needed to build a compatible version of the camera driver.

Chris
4 years 10 months ago #38746

I now I said you did not have the need to recompile the driver but as last resource, I would recompile it from the sources just to be sure.
Sometimes in the process of compiling some drivers on the ppa repository get screwed. It's not the first time it happens to me.
And recompiling solves the problem. Are you using the latest KStars / INDI drivers?

Give it a try.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by nMAC.
4 years 10 months ago #38760

Time to create page: 1.269 seconds