INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Capture & Solve -> Slew to Target...

• Thank you received: 24
Jasem,

I have some code for the indi_celestron_gps - allows the changing of the backlash settings for the mount. Tested tonight and it works well. It has helped improve the guiding, by tweaking with PHD2.

If this is of interest, please let me know the best way to send the code to you for evaluation/review/or...

I also have some test code for a more precise slew. This is still in testing.

Cheers!
6 years 5 months ago #20123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sure, submit it as PR on Github.
6 years 5 months ago #20128

I will clean up the Backlash code, and once done I will attempt a Pull Request as soon as I figure it out in GitHub (I am assuming I need to fork or something.)

Moving on to the Nudging precise slewing...

Question: Does anyone have any ideas to determine from the RA/DEC coordinates to determine which N/E/S/W button to press to increase or decrease the RA/DEC position?

Any help, pointers or such would be welcomed.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Stephen.
6 years 5 months ago #20154

Jochym,

I have been working on celestron_gps driver for the AUX commands through the serial->USB celestron connection, through the handcontrol:
- backlash settings work
- got an unsync command from Celestron too (not done yet)

Perhaps you can help me out with the MC_SLOW_GOTO command. I can issue the command; however, I am am having trouble interpreting how to manage the MC_SLEW_DONE.

The Symptom is that once the command is issued, the mount continues in the one direction - i.e. I am testing the ALT command first,
e.g. hc_pass_aux_cmd(PortFD, MESSAGE_LENGTH, ALT, MC_GOTO_SLOW, result[0], result[1], result[2], RESPONSE_LENGTH, response )

Once issued the mount does not stop the slow move and just continues. It is clear I do not understand, and would appreciate any pointers.
6 years 4 months ago #21252

• Thank you received: 76
This symptom can happen if you send commands (such as query slew done) to the mount too quickly.
I wrote a mount controller that uses AUX commands through the handset. I wait 1second between 'query slew done' commands.
See line 169 here github.com/dokeeffe/auxremote/blob/maste...nt/MountService.java
Derek.
6 years 4 months ago #21259

• Thank you received: 57
Sure I can help.
Do not issue any AUX movement commands when working with celestron_gps driver. The hand controller does not keep track of your commands and you are messing up its idea of the motor controllers (MC) state. You are basically fighting with HC over the control of MC. This is not going to work. You can set/adjust some of the settings - essentially when HC does not keep the state and reads it every time out of the MC. The SLEW_DONE messages may be captured by the HC or the tracking commands by the HC are messing up your GOTO.
Mixing of the protocols is really risky in my opinion - been there, done that. I think you should be very careful which commands you issue in this mode.
OTOH it can be done - I have implemented GPS emulator inside the nexstarevo driver which provides gps data to the HC.

BTW: This work will be very valuable in the nexstarevo driver. I did not implement the serial connection yet and I can use any help there is ;)
6 years 4 months ago #21260

Ah, Thank you for confirming. I had actually start using parts of the AuxCommand class in the celestron_gps driver. It was working well but resulted in the same symptom. So I simplified things down, resulting in the same symptom. So I will stop working on the move commands in this way.

I have looked as using the nester-evo driver to add in serial instead of IP. I was stuck at the connection point in the design to say.... do not use IP, use serial connection.

If you can point me to the correct place to make the decision point, I can try to work the serial part in, to test and see if I get it. If I do then I will gladly work it a bit more to see if I can help.

I am assuming sending the AuxCommands through the HC is still valid to add in serial to the nester-evo driver.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Stephen.
6 years 4 months ago #21309

I have looked at your code to to learn and it helped a lot. I was trying to see I could find a driver for the RPI3 that would move the CGEM for better entering before investing too much time. It was not clear to me how I could test it with Ekos and INDI on the RPI3. Do you have any suggestions?

My Java skills are many years old, yet, if there is a starting point for a HellowWorld like point... I can run from there.
6 years 4 months ago #21310

The problem is I have written the driver without planning to factor out the communication part. It was written explicitly as network based. Fortunately Jasem has implemented communication classes which will help refactoring. I have started the process. Right now only connection and handshake is partially done but I think it should be doable without major pains. Essentially we need to move all communication to INDI infrastructure and the work will be mostly done. As far as I understand the INDI is now capable to fully encapsulate the communication layer ( @knro Is that true?) so we only need to decide if we need to prepend HC-pass-through code to the message or not. Any help with this will be appreciated. We can work in the separate branch - PR against my repo (github.com/jochym/indi/tree/drv_nexstarevo) are welcomed ;)
6 years 4 months ago #21317

Ok, I will start reviewing your branch, compare the differences in the conversion to Jasem's classes, and then I will come back with questions :)
6 years 4 months ago #21326

I intend to work on this next weekend, maybe a bit earlier but that depends on the workload. If you have any questions regarding the code do not hesitate. We can use github collaboration mechanisms as well.
6 years 4 months ago #21331

• Thank you received: 0
Hi guys,

Any update on the Nudging precise slewing project? I use a celestron AVX and I have the same problem. So, I'd be extremely interested in the solution being developed here.
I do have some experience in writing code, although not for this kind of stuff (but I'm not too bad at C/C++ in general). So, if you think I can help, I'd be happy to contribute. I'm also happy to test the code to see if it works on the AVX.

Thanks,

jf
6 years 3 months ago #21746

Time to create page: 1.071 seconds