INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Indi compatable arduino firmware for filter wheel?

• Thank you received: 2
Thank you for fast replay. Problem is solved. I have to unsolder small capacistor (DTR Reset Capacistor). Arduino Nano clone v3 now don't reset on connect and respond to commands without delay. Filter wheel now works great.

https://cdn.instructables.com/FWD/5Q81/IAINHLRP/FWD5Q81IAINHLRP.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp&frame=1&width=1024&height=1024&fit=bounds
4 years 3 months ago #46595

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 22
OH yep. Missed that one. Glad you got it going.
4 years 3 months ago #46596

• Thank you received: 23
Hi Blueshawk,
do you have a list of parts required for this project? I read the code and i found that you use this motor 28BYJ-48 and an Hall sensor. How do you set the position, by moving the motor to a defined step or you read the Hall sensor. It is possible to have more then 5 filter position? I am planning to use an FLI wheel that is to old to be compatible with INDI and reuse it in this manner
4 years 1 month ago #49382

When I was researching this project, I found many different routines to attempt to stop position creep and backlash, including multiple hall effects and mutiple magnets but I thought these seemed redundant and difficult to build/wire so I came up with this one.
The hall effect(or reed relay if you can still get them) sets a HOME position and then everything is a set number of steps from there. So from home, the first filter is offset nnn steps to run clockwise and line it up, then the rest are further along this line. My unit always runs CW so to get back to a filter that has already passed(lower offset), and prevent step creep from backlash or missed steps, when the unit sees the lower(cw) filter request, runs back around to home, and then steps off the new offset.

That sounds like a good project and your wheel is probably already better than what I started with, a noname ebay special from china. There are lots of motor options for friction edge drive if the fli has access and a round outer edge, I recommend edge mounting over the center shaft/gearhead I did because it gets in the way of extensions and cameras and has lots of backlash. The .ino should work for pretty much any stepper/wheel. You will need to tweak the offsets from the home position and pay attention to pin assignments. To get more spots you'll need to edit the code and add more offsets to the array, and other code as well. You can probably copy/edit the filter(x) in the protocol routine to add them. A way to select how many you have in setup might be a good trick to code in...:ponder: I used an arduino nano(cinese cheapduino) initially but rebuilt it using a newer model teensy since it has better usb identifiers for the udev rule. I also used the little uln2003 driver board that comes with the units.

I'll try to get my Github polished a bit more on this project, and update the ino file to my latest with the serial offset commands when I get some more time.

Hope this helps!

github.com/Blueshawk/indi-wheel
[edit: if you check the testing branch that one appears to be fairly up to date. ymmv]
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Ray Wells. Reason: checked git, noticed more code edits will be needed for bigger wheels
4 years 1 month ago #49409

I should probably do a protocol sheet on this, most of it is the same as the xagyl but I made the go cw and go ccw change the stored calibration offset for the currently selected filter --Handy for quick offset calibration adjustments if needed. I think it's working with indi but it's been a while since I messed with it. Winter is dslr season...also apparently known as many months of rain.

Just remembered where I posted a video of it!
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Ray Wells. Reason: found those tweak commands
4 years 1 month ago #49411

• Thank you received: 17
I use that driver modified to suit my home modified ZWO manual filter wheel, I use a small 4 wire stepper & a DRV 8825 stepper driver board with a Hall Effect Switch that I had originally developed for an ASCOM setup. I just reprogrammed the Arduino to use the sketch modified to suit my home tweaked filter wheel based on the XAGYL protocol works faultlessly, with the indi XAGYL driver, just make sure the capacitor modification to the reset pin on the Arduino is fitted and you’ll have no issues.

Regards

Alan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Wells
4 years 1 month ago #49425

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds