INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

UTC time back in EQMOD

• Thank you received: 11

UTC time back in EQMOD was created by Klaus

EQMOD displays the UTC time in the tab 'Site Management'. This time runs slower as the time my PC displays. After half an hour EQMOD UTC time is roughly 2 minutes back! My PC's clock is synced with Internet Time Service and I checked for the correct value. EQMOD also displays JD and LST and they are both off (checked with xephem), too!

Is this behaviour of any concern?

CS
Klaus
9 years 9 months ago #1297

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 88

Replied by Jean-Luc on topic UTC time back in EQMOD

Hi,
I made a test using the simulator mode. The indi server and kstars were on the same machine. I noticed that there is a small delay when connecting the mount (16sec on an intel atom, 4sec on intel i3). This should be due to the amount of data exchanged on connection. Maybe kstars should wait a little before sending its UTC settings. By the way I left them running for 3 hours and got a 42sec delay with respect to the machine time. So there is effectively something wrong here.
Concerning the 2 minutes after half an hour, did the indiserver run on your PC ? EQMod uses the system machine time to compute time differences, so such a delay may be due to clock divergence between two machines.

Jean-Luc.
9 years 9 months ago #1322

Replied by Klaus on topic UTC time back in EQMOD

Hi Jean-Luc,

all the software was running on one machine.

CS
Klaus
9 years 9 months ago #1323

Hi,
There was effectively an error in adjusting time deltas as I used an integer division rather than a float one. Moreover I also now use clock_gettime rather than get_timeofday (which can jump). So I don't notice anymore a variation (test for 2 hours) even if the initial difference remains.
Could you confirm using your setup ?

Thanks,
Jean-Luc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
9 years 9 months ago #1343

Replied by Klaus on topic UTC time back in EQMOD

Hi Jean-Luc,

I've installed the new driver version and checked it for one hour. There was no noticable deviation between PC clock and EQMOD UTC time. Thank you for paying attention to this issue.

CS
Klaus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jean-Luc
9 years 9 months ago #1351

Hi Klaus,
Thanks for checking, time accuracy is crucial when computing RA/DEC and GOTOs in the driver. So this was an important issue.

Best Regards,
Jean-Luc.
9 years 9 months ago #1375

Time to create page: 1.041 seconds