INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EKOS capture time via raspberry pi

• Thank you received: 0
I just got the following setup working:

- Canon Rebel SL1 DSLR for imaging (currently just on my desk, not hooked up to my scope yet)
- Raspberry pi, with libgphoto2 and indiserver
- Laptop running kstars and EKOS

I'm connecting the laptop to the raspberry pi, and have been able to capture images from the camera. (COOL!)

However, it takes several minutes to capture a single image, run it through dcraw, and get it back to the laptop, before ekos will take another image. This seems prohibitively slow. I'm looking for general ideas on how to make this not take forever. Is it possible to have indiserver capture the images on the camera's SD card and download them in parallel or after capturing? What about skipping the conversion from canon RAW to FITS on the rasperry pi? (the laptop's 8core i7 seems better suited to the task). I've spent most of the evening poking around at settings and haven't seen anything obvious.

Appreciate any input. Thanks!
9 years 9 months ago #1358

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can you check if the images are already being saved to the SD card? If that's the case, I can add an option to disable the driver->ekos upload step.
9 years 9 months ago #1359

• Thank you received: 1
I found the following on this page:
indilib.org/devices/ccds/gphoto.html

Just some thoughts:
I seem to have an equivilent setup and had the same thing yesterday where i found that downloading of 1 FITS file (20Megs) from the RPI takes about 1 min.
I did try different WIFI dongles with nearly same DL times. I also found out that i will need an Accespoint on the RPI for fieldusage to connect my laptop. None of the WIFI dongle i owe are AP ready so i did order a new one.
CS Jens
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Jens. Reason: Add Info
9 years 9 months ago #1364

• Thank you received: 1
Got my AP ready WIFI dongle today.
After the easy installation i measured the time for downloading images again.
20 Megabyte FITS-image took 59seconds.
Switched to native in indi control panel the image size was only 8.9 Megabyte which
took 22 seconds for transfer.
I found also an option where to store the image.
CS Jens
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Jens.
9 years 9 months ago #1374

• Thank you received: 0
OK, I set things up to transfer in the native format; that takes about a minute, like others reported. I do *not* see the images being stored to the camera's SD card; I think it's a different gphoto command to do that (based on the gphoto2 command-line interface, anyway). That'd be a very convenient addition.
9 years 9 months ago #1396

Time to create page: 0.574 seconds