INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How do you work with fits files under linux

• Thank you received: 42
In between the clouds and full moon I'm collecting images to use them to learn about stacking and processing. The default for opening .fits files on my system is gimp but by default it shows just one or two of the brightest stars. The FITS viewer seems like a good representation of the image but it minimizes on each file open and requires going back and forth between windows. It there a utility or application that assists in flipping through FITS images to give a quick evaluation of whether it would add or detract if included? Alternatively batch conversion to some other format for evaluation. Attached example of consecutive images, perhaps a passing car light?
5 years 5 months ago #30568
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Just for quick evaluation or more serious processing? I use PixInsight under Linux for most things. But... it is heavy and is somewhat costly.

Magnus
5 years 5 months ago #30569

• Thank you received: 87
For a fast analysis you can use AstroArt under wine on linux, or for instance their viewer , ist free, lighter and fast:
www.msbsoftware.it/avis/

I am using it for a long time and it works very well.

You also have FV Fits viwer:
heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftools/fv/
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by nMAC.
5 years 5 months ago #30571

• Thank you received: 20
I use Siril and Astro Pixel Processor depending on what I am doing.
5 years 5 months ago #30577

• Thank you received: 42
Thanks for the quick replies, I'll try these. Wanted something for a quick screening. I intend to get to PixInsight but it looks like a steep learning curve for a first timer, so I was thinking of doing that during snow season.
Thanks again
Tom
5 years 5 months ago #30580

• Thank you received: 420
I started with Pix Insight about 1,5 year ago and now am looking into Astro Pixel Processor as well. It is much more user friendly than PI, cheaper and at least as good for stacking. PI does offer a LOT more though in terms of post processing.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
5 years 5 months ago #30582

• Thank you received: 46
I use Gimp 2.10, my workflow is like this,
Open the .fits images as layers,
Stretch images with "Colors" -> "Levels..." and then use the "Input levels" sliders as much as you need,
Then if your images doesn't match you can use one image as a reference and mark other layers as "Difference" and then move the layer as close as you can,
After that select "Screen" for all layers except the reference layer to stack them all..
That's all.. :)
It's also possible to create a color image if you use a filterwheel, it's a bit more complicated but I'm pretty used to that and if you like I can post a workflow.
But I think Siril is a better choice because Gimp can't do a subpixel move on layers..
5 years 5 months ago #30585

• Thank you received: 20
I would be interested in your workflow.
5 years 5 months ago #30587

So here is my workflow using Gimp,

Open all images you need (RGB) as layers,
When images are loaded select "Image" -> "Mode" -> "RGB" from File menu,
Colorize the layers with corresponding color, mark the Red layer and select "Color" -> "Colorize" -> "Red"
You can do a persistent color scheme to fit your needs.
Then select the green image and do the same, and the same with the blue image.

Now make a copy of the green image, select the green image, press Ctrl+a -> Ctrl+c and the paste (Ctrl+v) over the red image, that creates a new layer you can name to Green.
Then make a copy of the blue image and paste to the newly named Green image, that will also create a new layer you can name Blue.

Now you should have 2 more layers called "Green" "Blue" and the original "Red" image..

Then change the modes of the "Green" and "Blue" (copied) images to "Screen", that will blend the colors so you get a RGB image.

After that move the layers one by one if needed to match the stars.. and as the last step create a new image of visible layers and do some stretching to "dig the objects out"..

Hmmm.. I hope I didn't forgot anything but to be sure I can make a video and put it on youtube.. :) I'll let you know.

Br
/Markku
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomas Seckler
5 years 5 months ago #30599

• Thank you received: 160
To have a peek at a .fit image you can use Kubuntu's default image viewer (Gwenview).

There is a free software solution called Regim that performs calibration, deblooming (if necessary), normalization and combination (stacking) all in one go. It can also perform batch conversion of images and an automatic or (if preferred) manual color correction. www.andreasroerig.de/regim/regim.xhtml

Gimp 2.10 can handle 16bit images and will do all sorts of image manipulation.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 5 months ago #30603

• Thank you received: 133
For just viewing I can recommend SAOImage DS9 . It supports various scaling options (linear, log, sinh) scroll zoom, value display and even more sophisticated stuff like WCS.
The real processing I do mostly in IDL (similar to IRAF/Midas), and GIMP for the final retouching and color balance stuff in LAB colorspace.
5 years 5 months ago #30656

Now you can find my (bad) educational Gimp video here :
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thomas Seckler, Gonzothegreat, Hellriegel, Jim, Brian
5 years 5 months ago #30728

Time to create page: 0.811 seconds