INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Improved operability when using tablet

• Thank you received: 30
Thank you very much for your continuous support always.

Recently I have enjoyed enjoying Kstars + Ekos by remotely controlling RPi 3 from the tablet.

At that time, on the touch panel of the tablet, I think it is difficult to introduce the telescope by selecting the target from the most frequently operated star map.
(Right-click the target on the star map → select mount from the flip menu → mount item → select introduction)

The operation system selected from the right click is difficult to operate on the touch screen and can not be operated smoothly.

As shown in the attached figure, the operation is very easy if you can click the star chart, select the target and press the button on the mount controller to introduce the target.

Because it is a frequently used function,
I am glad if it is added to the function.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
5 years 5 months ago #30775
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
I operate somewhat similarly to you with a tablet interface, but also the option to use my phone. Here is my experience.
I love being able to walk away from the scope and monitor things and work from a distance over WiFi if I retreat to a warm room or visit other astronomers nearby. But when I'm working adjacent to the mount, I have found the most reliable and low latency tablet connection to the Pi is via a USB tethered network connection. It also has the side advantage of sharing a mobile data connection if you need to online plate solve. That being said, I also experienced inefficiencies interfacing in this way. So I added to my workstation a simple wireless keyboard with built in trackpad. I can use the tablet as a touch interface or display a mouse pointer on screen with my remoting software, it is almost as good as having a true laptop in front of you. Although, trackpads do get flaky when there is lots of dew, so consider a wireless mouse. A simultaneous connection with a smartphone can also be used like a trackpad.
To wire this all up I have a long USB extension cable and a simple hub for these devices at my table.
To remote into the Pi I use NoMachine, but also VNC is setup and I like to use that over the WiFi.
NoMachine can display a mouse pointer, and VNC on my phone can make it function as a trackpad when I need it to. There's a fair bit of flexibility with this combo of hardware and software.
With the keyboard I have set up various hotkeys that bring up Find, EKOS, INDI, eccetera. It's also trivial to point to something on the planetarium and use the right click menus with the mouse pad and buttons.

Hope this helps you find inspiration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T-Studio
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Andrew.
5 years 5 months ago #30828

• Thank you received: 30
Thank you for the information.

I will install it immediately.

I understood that it is convenient to use the tablet when using Kstar and What's Interresting function is useful.

Call the What's Interresting function from the icon at the top of Kstar and click on the info button below.

Then the place where you clicked the star chart is displayed in the center and the information is displayed.
In that case, Slew Telescoope seems to be able to choose.

When used in conjunction with nomachine, operation may be considerably easier.
5 years 5 months ago #30835

• Thank you received: 226
I don't use the what's interesting feature myself. It's a bit too slow on the Pi. I will use the find feature and search for targets I am already interested in. Also the observation planner is handy to keep track of what you're interested in and when they are best observed.
5 years 5 months ago #30863

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds