INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Using Fuji X-E2 with Indi/gphoto/

• Thank you received: 0
Hi! I'm looking into using linux to run my setup instead of windows, because my camera (as I see it) is not supported by any windows software. I am unsure about linux but that's why I'm here. Apologies if I'm in the wrong place, if there's a better place to post or a person to contact, please direct me! :). I am using a Fuji X-E2 and would love to be able to do things like dithering. I would like to use one of the "pre-made" systems like Astroberry Server, but I'm unsure about support, as I do not see my camera listed anywhere. However, newest release of gphoto shows it as supported:

gphoto.org/news/
libgphoto2 2.5.19 release: "Fuji X series live view support added. "

So, will I be able to use my Fuji X-E2 remotely or what are my options?

Kind regards and thanks in advance
Carl Johan
5 years 5 months ago #30908

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If you use the nightly PPA you can try out the INDI GPhoto and see if it works out for you.
5 years 5 months ago #30910

• Thank you received: 9
The supported cameras page doesn't show details for the X-E2 so you'll have to test it yourself.

My X-T2 is supported as "Image Capture, Liveview, Configuration" and it works ok with INDI.

The problem is that the Raspberry Pi is currently not well suited for X-Trans sensors. Demosaicing and conversion to FITS takes a lot of processing power and way more memory than any RPi has to offer. Sometimes even the 32 bit memory limit is reached and the conversion fails with an out of memory error. Using a 64 bit OS and adding the SD card as swap works but it is extremely slow.

You should try to find a small x86 computer like a netbook or NUC. I'm currently building my new rig around an older NUC and this works much better.
5 years 5 months ago #30916

You can use RPI just to capture and transfer back to client running on a PC/Mac..etc.
5 years 5 months ago #30917

• Thank you received: 301
How does one control the shutter on the X-E2? I see it is a minijack, is it canon-compatible? Given the habits of Fuji, I'd assume no, so how do you control it remotely usually?

-Eric
5 years 5 months ago #30927

• Thank you received: 0

Intervalometer, I'm not remote yet but that's what I'm trying to attain. The X-E2 can be fired from a PC using a relay. The problem is getting the images to the computer.

I have determined with reasonable certainty that the X-E2 sadly isn't supported by gphoto for image capture. I misread the documentation.
But, can software like AstroBerry/INDI/something be used with a "dummy camera" and then just control a relay? Similar to how you'd shoot with cameras that dont support bulb over USB.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Carl Johan Nielsen.
5 years 5 months ago #30930

• Thank you received: 9
If you know a bit about electronics then you could use an arduino with INDI for the shutter.

For data transfer you could think about a Wifi Enabled SD Card and some kind of monitoring software that automatically transfers new pictures to your computer.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Rolf Meyerhoff.
5 years 4 months ago #30974

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds