INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Access to Indiserver & -web in Subnet

• Thank you received: 2
Hi Indi-Community,

I have two questions concerning the indiserver and indiweb.
-> If the Indi-server is running (on an ubuntu 16.04) in a subnet, what do I have to do with which ports to be able to connect from a mac laptop (in the supernet) to my devices connected to the ubuntu machine? Do I only need to do something with the default Port 7624? But what?
-> And to get the indi-web running, what exactly is needed? On which machine do I need to download what to be able to access the indiserver from the mac in the higher net?

Thank you so much!

Clear skies!
Chris
5 years 4 months ago #31219

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 74
Dont work with Mac/Ipad etc but networking principles are the same for all devices. I dont really understand the wording (supernet or higher net) be I am guess you mean local LAN and Internet or a mixture of both.

1. To use a device on one network (subnet or otherwise) you need to be able to talk - there are a number of ways to do this - but in essence the devices or routers need to know about how to get to the subnet. On the Internet its DNS/Routing job - former converts human naming to computer addresses, the latter maps the "road" to the device. Using VPN on the Internet can also "Open Up" closed networks by creating a "direct Path" to local nework which is normally behind a router when the Internet is involved. So first thing is PING the address using its IP address - do you get a OK reply. If yes most complicated work already done - if not you will need to do more work which I am no going to get into here.

2. The port number is not unique by itself but is when used with an IP address (or DNS name e.g. indilib.ord) so the combination of destination address and port number point ,normally, to a specific computer/nework device - e.g. 192.168.1.12:7624 (Indi devices expect you to provide them in separate box's) would point to a specific device where indi would expect Indiserver to be running. However if you cant "talk" to the device it will never worked - so get (1) the ping working first.

3. If the Internet is involved you will most likely have 1 or more "Firewall's" - they normally block any traffic to unspecified port numbers (so port 80 ok as its used for surfing - 7624 could be blocked). So they have to be "unblocked" by telling the firewall you want traffic for this port to be allowed thru. It's a lot more complicated and there are other factors involved.

This article provides a "how to" for simple neworks (i.e. all on the same network/subnet) indilib.org/support/tutorials/159-indi-on-multiple-devices.html It uses HOSTS file to provide what DNS would normally do - convert Human names ,e.g. STARPI, into an computer address 192.168.1.50.

You will need to provide more info to get a better set of instructions maybe this may help www.steves-internet-guide.com/basic-networking-course/

Sorry if you already know this :-)

As for he Web manager read this www.indilib.org/support/tutorials/162-indi-web-manager.html
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Chris
5 years 4 months ago #31222

Ok, so we have a Local Net that I am connected to with my laptop and a subnet with the Indiserver running on an Ubuntu PC and the Devices connected to it.
In order to be able to communicate with the Server I need some kind of Port forwarding, right?
So do I need UDP or TCP do get it running?

Thank you so much!
Clear skies!

Chris
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Chris.
5 years 4 months ago #31305

The communication is over TCP/IP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris
5 years 4 months ago #31310

• Thank you received: 42
It is possible by subnet/supernet you mean one subnet connecting to another through a router. If you have that already set up and working then you can use the default ports. In the Ekos profile editor you explicitly specify the remote host and (default) port of the indiserver on the subnet. If you are asking about the webmanager look at github.com/knro/indiwebmanager to see if that helps.
5 years 4 months ago #31343

I got it running via Wifi! Thank you.
If the Ubuntu PC is connected to the subnet via ethernet, I cant connect from the local net but Wifi is workin. Very strange... ?!
5 years 4 months ago #31344

• Thank you received: 74
Nothing strange at all Wifi and Wired could (and sounds like they are) be connecting to 2 networks. The Wifi just happens to be connecting to the same network as Ubuntu PC. You can of course create a bridge (assume IOS/Mac is allowed too) between the networks so that the Wifi and the Ethernet allow traffic to pass transparently across the 2 networks.

However as stated before the lack of info,network drawings etc does make it hard to help in such cases :-)

But hey its working :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 4 months ago #31346

Time to create page: 0.842 seconds