INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon lens focus using focus module

• Thank you received: 74
Hi does anyone know if the Indi Focus Module should control a Canon DSLR Canon Lens focus - as it does not seem to do anything?

This combo works fine on APT Focus Control !
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 4 months ago #31551

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 161
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive Stachon
5 years 4 months ago #31554

Sorry missed that on my search - doh!

Quote "
Therefore we should make sure the focus in / out buttons are inactive/non-functional whenever
1. Canon DSLR is selected as active Focuser AND
2. no Live Video window is open.
"

Totally agreed else it also means that your PC will have to be restarted as it seems to leave a process which become CPU hungry on the Ekos PC - On my ekos pc - RPI3 servers set up. I have to restart all ( Ekos PC and Indi RPI server) - very bad work flow not user friendly at all.

Thanks again Herrhausen :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
5 years 4 months ago #31556

You're more than welcome, Stash! In fact I'm glad to hear from a fellow Canon user who faces the same challenges.

Focusing a tele lens like the EF 300mm by hand is VERY difficult. I tried on a bright star using a viewfinder magnifier. Results were OK in most cases. Doing it in Ekos yielded better results. I'm wondering whether a Bahtinov mask would further improve things. Did you ever try one?
5 years 4 months ago #31564

• Thank you received: 226
Bahtinov masks work well. On a DSLR with small aperture it is usually necessary to take test exposures of a few seconds for the pattern to show up. An acrylic bahtinov mask with etched diffraction gratings work better than traditional masks and may be used one some bright stars in live view. Lastly the Magic Lantern soft-mod can make live view focus easier with the FPS Override, among other features, allowing the camera to gather much more light in the live view. Edit: Magic Lantern also features manual back button focus controls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, Clive Stachon
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Andrew.
5 years 4 months ago #31565

Doesn't even have to be a telephoto lens - using 18mm upwards still presents the same problem. Never used a Bahtinov mask on a camera lens and with remote working thats a bit hard to do LOL - so not a starter for me !

Using yet another piece of software (Magic Lantern) no thanks that's why I like Indi - all in one - when it works. Question also is raised why/how can Magic Latern do it (if it can?)

I am sorry to say it does work in Byeos and APT with Canon len's so that's my measurement point of what Indi is doing for me - same ok ,less not acceptable. :-)

5 years 4 months ago #31576

Magic Lantern is an alternative firmware for many Canon cameras. [Edit: rather an Add-on than a replacement] It offers additional features and enjoys enormous popularity.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Lantern_(firmware)

Ekos usability regarding focusing a Canon lens is very limited. As you said, a simple click at "focus in" or "focus out" without Live View activated beforehand necessitates a restart or even freezes the system. That's a real show stopper IMO. Considering the popularity of (modified) Canon DSLRs for astro photography, an improvement would be greatly appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive Stachon
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 4 months ago #31577

Wow. Installed Magic Lantern and found "Exact FPS" in the settings. Terrific! Thanks a lot, lhoujin!
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 4 months ago #31582

Pointless for me my Camera is not support (yet) - think i will finish my DIY mod for a focus stepper for my Canon Lens and just take pictures until I think its focused. If not then I will be going back to Windows APT again and look into Indi now and then to see if any progress has been made. I understand the Co-software route (Magic Lantern and Canon OS) but dont see the point ,for me,unless Indi Focus Module works the ML firmware (does it?) .

Clear Skies

5 years 4 months ago #31583

• Thank you received: 226
Magic lantern will not offer much benefit on a remote setup. Otherwise it can be rather useful. You can greatly lower the FPS to gather more light and tweak the gain and iso to further enhance the live view on faint objects. I've observed M42 in colour through an f5 8" newt this way.
With camera lenses, the ability to drive the lens focus with rear buttons is dead easy.

But this is not a magic lantern forum so I should probably not digress further.
5 years 4 months ago #31589

Time to create page: 0.585 seconds