INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

USB hubs - a never ending story

• Thank you received: 25
Watch out also "active" USB cables. They have a 1 to 1 hub embeded in order to extend length, but can be troublesome.

USB has a limit of hubs in cascade it can handle and I think the best practice is to limit using a "computer <-> hub <-> devices" configuration.

Some years ago I tried to use 2 active USB cables to comunicate my computer to my telescope, camera, etc. It had a random behavior.
Now I has the configuration "computer <-> ethernet <-> old laptop <-> hub <-> 4 devices (ST8, FS2, MaxDome, Robofocus)" working ok.
5 years 4 months ago #31972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 10
so would most agree that best practice is to have a powered hub connected to the pi and the devices connected only to the powered hub ??
5 years 4 months ago #31975

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by Tom on topic USB hubs - a never ending story

Hi all,

I am not expert in linux what so ever. Try this " Adding dwc_otg.speed=1 to /boot/cmdline.txt" then reboot your RPI3. Plug every of your devices into your 7-ports powered USB hub and try it out. Hope can save the day. :)

Tom
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Tom.
5 years 4 months ago #31976

• Thank you received: 2
from my experience i use the usb ports of a pc to run my imaging camera, mount cable and guide camera everything else goes to the hub, but one issue i have is with my atik EFW2 with rpi. The only way the pi can recognize the filter wheel is to connect it at my pi and the imaging camera at my D-link hub. Another issue i had a few days ago is that my dmfc and mount would conflict with each other when my hub was not powered. I have ordered a 10 usb 12v powered startech hub in order to try it and also have an extra usb port for future equipment
HEQ5 Pro Rowan Belt Mod, GSO RC8'', SW ED80, Atik 383L+, Atik EFW2, Atik OAG, SX Lodestar, ZWO ASI 120MC
5 years 4 months ago #31978

• Thank you received: 74
DSLR's dont count they provided their own power so are quite happy being plugged in to RPI USB port - just make the cable as short as possible and best quality for signal strength. For the UK Lindy cables are very good. Never had problems using DSLR with this method - hence using Remote Indiserver is ideal on different RPI's IMO
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 4 months ago #31979

• Thank you received: 10
stash is correct about the power consumption of DSLRs as well as all separately powered devices draw hardly any current from the hub.
However beware that non-powered USB2 devices can draw up to 0.5 A and USB3 devices up to 0.9A per port. Using a 10 port hub with a 2.5A power supply might be on the low side.
To complicate things even more the USB-C connector (which I have not seen on astro devices yet but only on cell phones and tablets) may draw up to 3A per port. So don't charge Your cell phone from the same hub when using it for internet connections ;-)

And to top all this: USB-PD (USB Power Delivery) may request 5V, 12V or even 20V and up to 5A (= 100W max power) from the charging device! These values are considered for USB connected displays for example. But it will take some time before we see devices like these at our telescopes.
5 years 4 months ago #31980

• Thank you received: 226
Unfortunately a lot of hubs on the market use cheap components that can be very sensitive to environmental factors, particularly temperature. There are plenty of industrial grade hubs on the market for top dollar, but I have had good success when I switched to this 7 port USB3 hub from StarTech. (3 charge, 4 Data)
www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HNWY9SW
I have operated with this in the dead of winter under -25°C without a hitch. It powers my RPi3, and up to 2 USB dew heaters. Plus it controls my Guide Cam, DSLR, and memory stick with one port to spare. My Pi's USB ports are occupied with the Hub, Mount, WiFi and USB extension cable to a tablet and keyboard via another powered hub at my table.
5 years 4 months ago #31990

• Thank you received: 19

You're right about the quality of USB hubs. I have success with this USB2 hub from coolgear:

www.coolgear.com/product/usb-2-0-over-ip...e-over-tcpip-network

I have had this in my obs for about 6 years powered up and temperature ranging from -40C to +40C. So far so good ... These are a little more expensive, but you can save on gray hair tonics.

jmh
5 years 4 months ago #31992

• Thank you received: 33
I would like to add a point to this topic concerning the mixture of USB 2 and USB 3 devices connected to a same hub.
Remember to connect FIRST the USB 3 devices (cameras in my case) to the hub, and THEN the additional USB 2 devices (scope in my case).
The first device you plug in will configure the port, so always connect USB 3-capable hubs or devices first.
If you plug in a USB 2 hub first, all devices connected or "daisy-chained" to that hub will operate up to the maximum transfer rate of USB 2 speed (480 Mbps).
If you are on Apple, check connections with System Information (Apple () menu > About This Mac > System Report, then select : Hardware / USB, use ⌘R Refresh Information)
THEN power up the devices and start the astronomy software.
5 years 2 months ago #33798

No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWhile I am at it, I have been surprised that this USB 3 hub always connects my USB 3 cameras first, and not my USB 2 scope !
5 years 2 months ago #33799

Thanks for posting this, now my ZWO ASI294 camera transfers files at usb3.0 speeds to my NanoPC-T4 device, it never occurred to me to pay attention to the order of plugging in usb3 and usb2 devices.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Brian.
5 years 2 months ago #33809

No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration
The link didn't appear in my reply ! The name of the hub is "Sabrent 4-Port Hub USB 3.0" with 4 independent switches
5 years 2 months ago #33811

Time to create page: 1.788 seconds