INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ubuntu 18.04 TRASHED by INDI/KStars/

• Thank you received: 2
Hi,

So in brief, KStars/INDI/Ekos, for an unknown reason, writes an immense amount of log to /var/log/kernal.log and /var/log/syslog and trashed two of my computers running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Absolutely 0 bytes left in /root on both computers and I am now unable to boot them up.

My equipment profile is as follows:
QHY165C
QHY5L-II-C
EQMOD Mount (HEQ5-Pro)
DIY Arduino Focuser (Moonlite protocol)

This is a very serious problem. INDI/KStars/Ekos managed to write 69GB of log within a matter of minutes.

If I manage to recover and open (69GB of log ... I don't have a computer with that much RAM) the log files I will post some of the logs here.

Regards,
Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 3 months ago #32167

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This is most likely from QHY CCD logging. Disable CCD logging in Ekos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Chui
5 years 3 months ago #32168

Hi Jasem,

Thanks for your tip. However, it looks like that the CCD logging cannot be enabled in the first place. Am I missing something?

Cheers,
Jonathan
5 years 3 months ago #32202
Attachments:

Which files were logging then?
5 years 3 months ago #32203

Which files were logging then? Check the CCD driver --> Options , and see if logging was enabled there.
5 years 3 months ago #32204

The files in which logs piled up were /var/log/syslog and /var/log/kern.log.
I suppose by disabling debugging the logging is off?

Thanks,
Jon
5 years 3 months ago #32205
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 133
Yikes. Indeed just confirmed that (somewhat unexpectedly) all the EKOS messages go to syslog...
I don't know how one can get to several GB that way.
One thing to prevent it is activating the 'log to file' option of kstars, then all messages end up in $HOME/.local/share/kstars/logs. Will at least prevent your system clogging up.
5 years 3 months ago #32214

What? how are they going to syslog?! let me check here.

EDIT: Just tried with all combinations and can't get a single message to syslog or kernel log. What messages are you seeing? Do they come from specific drivers?
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 3 months ago #32230

It's all the stuff that is (also) written to the message consoles of kstars:
Attached is the output of 'journalctl -b -g kstars' on my machine (openSUSE Tumbleweed).
(IMHO you should also allow to attach simple gziped text files, not onlt archives :( )
When I activate 'write to file' the log to syslog stops.
Likely some journal setting, to include all sort of stdout/err stuff to the syslog? I'm not too familiar with configuring logging, but will try to have a look.
5 years 3 months ago #32235
Attachments:

Well, it's not something in KStars itself. Maybe OpenSUSE logs everything that goes to stdout? If you "disable" logging, it also logs nevertheless?
5 years 3 months ago #32236

I think it must be a feature of the DE/Window manager. If I start kstars from the command line, nothing gets logged to syslog. Only if I start via the start menu (KDE plasma). So it's somewhat similar to when started from systemd. There exists a setting for that in case of systemd services, like 'StandardOutput=null' (man systemd.exec), but I don't know where to put that directive for programs started from the DE....
There seems to be a way to do it from the application, like only logging to stdout when called from a tty.
5 years 3 months ago #32238

• Thank you received: 74
This may help you until you find the problem. Rotate logs automatically linoxide.com/linux-how-to/setup-log-rotation-logrotate-ubuntu/

Plus learn to start Linux in safe mode linuxconfig.org/how-to-boot-ubuntu-18-04...ency-and-rescue-mode to "untrash" your system :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
5 years 3 months ago #32252

Time to create page: 1.349 seconds