INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Re:Looking for all MAC users of Kstars / Ekos

• Thank you received: 140
Hi,
Am considering swapping to an Apple MacBook Pro, and want to use this to control my rpi with remotely, have been using Linux this way for a couple of years, with no real issues but have the chance of a mint condition MacBook Pro for a very low price and do need a laptop upgrade. So wanted any advice or on doing this..if the consensus seems that this is not a good idea, I may consider a dual boot with Linux, but want to avoid that if possible as that is not as straight forward as doing with windows...
I will just be using as a client PC running Kstar / Ekos, with full INdI remotely on the rpi3b+ ...
Thanks in advance :)
William
5 years 2 months ago #33794

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
I have been using my MacBook off and on with my hardware connected to it and it works like a charm. I have never used KStars on my MacBook the way you describe but I see no reasons why this wouldn't work. KStars is KStars and it runs on several platforms, MacOS included.

HTH, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
5 years 2 months ago #33795

• Thank you received: 66
Absolutely, works like a charm. I have a MacBook Air connected via wifi to a RPi (StellarMate) and the combination is excellent. I can run easily all night with the Air battery powered the whole time so no cables to tangle. The Kstars as client works well and even have tabulated kstars/ekos/control panels that make window management easier. I don't recommend the MacBook as a direct USB link to your devices though. There is not enough support for USB drivers as the Mac handles USB differently from Linux and windows. You can see a pinned video I made of my setup here: www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/4141-thought-...might-like-this.html
5 years 2 months ago #33803

• Thank you received: 69
I use a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) to connect via wifi to the RPi3B+ controlling the scope etc. It works fine for me. The only issue I have is downloading the fits files to the MacBook Pro as the client (my .fits files are 72M from a Nikon D800). These downloads take a while e.g. 1 minute. Conversely if I have the images saved (local) to the RPi3B+ then the performance is much faster. I don't fault the MacBook Pro for this scenario.
5 years 2 months ago #33825

• Thank you received: 139
I'm using a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" as my imaging laptop. No issues here. My setup and images I've taken are all at my website linked below. I've had no issues doing high frame rate planetary or DSO imaging. But my frames are around 32mb which transfer instantly over USB3.
5 years 2 months ago #33851

• Thank you received: 10
Another +1 for running kstars/ekos on a Macbook for controlling your Pi. It's been rock solid for me. I agree with Jerry on the "latency" issue for image downloads. I've mitigated that significantly by using powerline ethernet adapters, but I image in my backyard on AC power; not really an option in the field.
5 years 2 months ago #33855

• Thank you received: 87
I have been using it with a MacBook Pro Late 2009 with High Sierra, connecting to a Mac Mini (x86) indi server running Kubuntu.
No problems either, runs very well.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by nMAC.
5 years 2 months ago #34070

I take this into the field for all night imaging - 3 AC outlets - my laptop runs on its own battery: www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-el...00-0112014p.html#srp
5 years 2 months ago #34072

• Thank you received: 11
I've done this from day one with a MacBook Pro replacing a Windows Laptop.

However, there is definitely an issue with v3.0 of Kstars on the Mac and I've had a support ticket logged for it, but am yet to see a complete resolution. There was a v3.1 "beta" type of build posted, but I haven't tested it. I would stick to running v2.9.8 of Kstars on the Mac until we see some reports of v3.1 resolving them. I've lost too many nights of imaging due to this bug(s) with v3.0 of Kstars on Mac and I get vanishingly few during our summer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Archer, AstroNerd
5 years 1 month ago #34390

• Thank you received: 809
It is good to hear that you have all had good experiences using KStars on your macs. I worked very hard to get it to work on OS X. Primarily that was because I wanted it myself and I saw the potential in the system, but it is nice that you all benefit from it too. I primarily use KStars in my Mac as a client with a raspberry pi connected to my equipment as the OP posted. I have been doing this since 2016 since I first got it to work on my Mac.

After the Recent issues we had with qt in the build script we have been using for 2 years surfaced with version 3.0 and totally prevented me from building 3.1 about 2 weeks ago, I decided it was time for a change.

Last year I had started a project where I was going to try to write some new craft recipes so that we could build KStars totally in craft for Mac. This will enable faster builds, more reliable builds, and building on newer computers. It will also pave the way for nightly builds. I have been working on them on and off for months. After the qt issue, I decided it was time to finish it with a script to get it all building in craft. Over the past week or so I have written a whole new script based on our old one and my new craft recipes. I think I just finished it about an hour ago. I’m going to have a couple of people test it out to see how it goes on their systems so we can perfect it. If any of you would like to try that please let me know and I can post the link here. It is a completely automatic build script that builds the latest version of INDI and KStars for macs.

Also I will post a new version of a 3.1 dmg you guys can test out to verify. I just need to do a little testing on it myself first.

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 1 month ago #34479

• Thank you received: 139
Hi Rob. I'll give it a go. Cloudy skies here for the next 10 days, but I can at least see if it builds without issue, and launches/connects to the equipment. Thanks!
5 years 1 month ago #34483

Hi Rob, thank you so much for your efforts on Kstars for Mac. Fortunately I discovered it just before investing too much in windows software (on old MacBook Pro). I was disappointed that it couldn't operate a DSLR directly so I got StellarMate, which turned out to be a great solution anyway - nice to have wireless remote access to the mount. I'd like to help but weather here prevents outings for at least another month. Although I suppose I could test it without guiding. Let me know how I can help.

I'm wondering though, why you haven't addressed the issue of tethering a DSLR on the Mac? PkTriggerCord (and so GPhoto2) does not work on the Mac because it doesn't use the macOS method of USB control. I tried to write a driver - not a lot of programming experience here although I have written an iOS app - but stopped when I switched to using StellarMate. I know its not that critical now but I had some time and I thought I would try it again. Am I wasting my time? Is this something you could do in your sleep - lol - and just don't see the need? Let me know before I waste my time on it!
5 years 1 month ago #34484

Time to create page: 1.027 seconds