INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Digital Dome Works - does this work?

• Thank you received: 2
Hello!
I'm new here, someone told me about this software and being someone who wants to totally escape the grips of Microsoft, I'm very interested in learning how this all works. I'm currently rebuilding my observatory after I moved to a new house. I have a 6 foot Technical Innovations dome with the Digital Dome works controller. I run a 12" LX200 Classic, with an Orion 80ED piggybacked for guiding with an Orion StarShoot autoguider and imaging with a Canon 60Da.
If I can find a way to control my toys with out booting to Windows, I'll be a huge step closer to my escape from Microsoft. Any comments on if this system will control all my toys?
See my blog at eas-astroblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

Tom
9 years 5 months ago #2043

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello Tom! Welcome to the forum. The LX200 and 60Da are supported, not sure about the Orion Starshoot, if it is QHY5 then it is supported. Regarding digital dome works, there is no INDI driver for it, you can either ask the company to provide an INDI driver or ask them for the RS232 command set so that a driver can be developed for it.
9 years 5 months ago #2044

I'm not sure what the Starshoot is. It's this one - www.telescope.com/Orion-StarShoot-AutoGuider/p/52064.uts
I guess I'm stuck on Windows for a while. Ugh!
I've been running XP on my observatory computer, but probably have to break down and buy a copy of Win7. Probably a whole new computer also since the one I have for the observatory is made from spare parts. Windows 7 isn't friendly about hardware upgrades and forces you to buy another copy if swapping out a board. There must be other guys out there that run the Digital Dome Works system.
This is the software download page. I wonder if this works in Wine? It's just a basic serial port link from the software to the dome controller. Something to tinker with during the rainy months I guess!
www.homedome.com/downloads.htm

Tom
9 years 5 months ago #2045

I contacted DDW to see if they can provide a command set so that a driver can be developed. It seems there is a library for the starshoot that supports Linux, but it is not open source, I contacted the author to find more information.
9 years 5 months ago #2046

Thanks for checking. I'm not a developer, so I can't help much with writing drivers but would be happy to beta test whatever comes out. I'll probably just have to set up a dual boot and go back and forth between Linux and Windows.
9 years 5 months ago #2048

• Thank you received: 95
Mac/Linux driver for the Orion StarShoot Autoguide github.com/ejholmes/openssag
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Gwilym
9 years 5 months ago #2051

Thanks for the info. I'll add that to my list to check out once I get my observatory up and running. Maybe there is some hope to go Microsoft free? :)
9 years 5 months ago #2052

tegwilym,
what Linux astronomical software do you use?
9 years 5 months ago #2053

I'm not using anything for my telescope yet, but do fool around with Stellarium, KStars and other planetarium things just to poke around and see what is visible. I still have to hook it all up to the scope. Dual boot probably.
Currently, I've been running XP (yeah...I know!) and the following:
- Autoguiding - PHP Guider with StarShoot camera
- Imaging - Backyard EOS for the Canon 60Da
- Telescope pointing - Cartes du Ciel
- Dome control - (I forget the name) The Digital Dome works software from the site. I manually have to control it since I've never figured out how to sync the scope and dome to move together.
- Processing - I was using ImagesPlus until I got the 60Da and it's not happy with the format. I've tried the free DeepSkyStacker and have had good results.
- Planet processing - Registacks - I have to try out Autostakkert next.

I don't really want to upgrade to a Win7 machine if I can avoid it. My observatory computer is a "spare parts" machine and I swap out things when I can, and we know how Microsoft is with registering their stuff.
Other than my girlfriend's computer, I'm about 95% Linux at home and even run a Mythbuntu MythTV system. Astronomy is the only thing that holds me back from 100% now....and my job - supporting it. *ugh*

Oh - I should mention I'm not running any ASCOM stuff yet either. I've just had problems getting it all working easily. Also, with our Seattle area weather, my "experimenting skies" are limited. When it's clear, I'd rather be imaging than messing with software since that clearing may not return for weeks.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Tom Gwilym.
9 years 5 months ago #2054

Write me your email.
9 years 5 months ago #2055

I can't find a way to reply directly off-list, here it is (with protection from spam harvesters)

tegwilym (AT) comcast (dot) net
9 years 5 months ago #2056

• Thank you received: 10
Hello,
I see you are using an Orion Starshoot for a guider. The camera is definitely supported by KStars as a QHY5. It does require adding an appropriate UDEV rule so the device is recognized, but otherwise, the camera will function just fine.

Best wishes,
Dan
9 years 4 months ago #2117

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds