INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to connect Mac OSX to an INDI Server running on an Ubuntu box.

• Thank you received: 155
No, you're not missing anything. I was missing coffee at 2:30am last night. I realized today that I was using the wrong IP address in EKOS on the Mac, which is why it couldn't find Indi Web Manager. Today, after some strong Ugandan coffee - it's running perfectly!
Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Peter Kennett.
5 years 2 months ago #34115

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Problem solved! I just needed more coffee at 2:30am. I had the wrong IP address! System working perfectly now!
5 years 2 months ago #34116

It’s a nice clear tonight tonight so I’m up on the roof and all is working perfectly. I’m capturing the Seagull Nebuka in NB. The MacBook is connected and running the show without a flaw, and the NanoPC is saving the 32mb files on it’s internal 480gb SSD, which is virtually instantaneous. Much better than having the files download to the Mac.

I wish the Ubuntu version of EKOS was as stable on the NanoPC as the OSC version is on my MacBook Air. But all month I have been struggling with frequent crashes that are new, and I haven’t seen a pattern to hint at why. Additionally on the NanoPC my ASI1600 would occasionally lock up when running EKOS on it. So far tonight, not a single problem even though the camera is still connected to the same Ubuntu box and running under the same version of INDI. So the issue was with EKOS not INDI or the PC.
5 years 2 months ago #34135

• Thank you received: 812
5 years 2 months ago #34136

• Thank you received: 19
Sorry guys, i have to hang in at this point here, because that does NOT work for me.

Let me recap. You say i only have to start my linux machine. Do nothing there. And then i start KStars on my mac and go to indi webmanager and connect? The only thing i get then is "this website is not reachable"...

If i start the indiserver via "indi-web" command on the linux machine, it works.

So it seems I am missing something here, or not?

cheers
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 2 months ago #34293

I have coded in an autostart so that when my Linux box boots, it starts the web server automatically. Additionally, I have set up my Linux box to start a WIFI network automatically - which is how I am able to connect to it from my Macbook. So..

1. Set up the Linux machine to start a WIFI network upon booting. Note what this wifi network IP address is.

2. Download the IndiWebManager.service file to your Linux box, then copy it to /etc/systemd/system. Instructions are here:

github.com/knro/indiwebmanager

Once installed, follow the directions to AUTOSTART this server upon booting. The instructions are on the same page above.

3. Reboot the Linux box and then go to your Mac.
4. Wait and select the new wifi network that the Linux box just created.
5. Launch KSTars on the Mac.
6. Set up the INDI server configuration on the Mac, with all your equipment. Be sure to select web manager and to enter the IP address of the Linux Box's new wifi network.
5 years 2 months ago #34295

• Thank you received: 66
Are you guys missing the INDI Web Manager checkbox - just below the word "guiding" ?

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Greg.
5 years 2 months ago #34296
Attachments:

No i am not missing the checkbox. But PK says it clearly. He is starting the indiserver on startup automatically. So, the server HAS to be started somehow before...
Not a Problem for me since my Indiserver is a Laptop running Linux.
When i set up my system, i have to start my laptop anyway, so its not a thing to type "indi-web" into it.
Didn´t chek how to make a autostarting script until now on my KDE-Plasma system, have to learn that before.
Just wanted to know if the server has to be started before somehow, and looks like it has...

cheers
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 2 months ago #34301

• Thank you received: 140

Yes I think you are missing something, you should not have to do that,
Start Linux machine with INdI and INdI web manger installed....you have that by the sound of it...
start MAC and then Kstars / Ekos, then in your Ekos profile you have it set to remote, and put the Linux PC network name or IP address in the box, check the auto start box, and save, then connect and that’s it...simples... :) :)
5 years 2 months ago #34306

No it’s does not need to be started manually...
Also why you getting “website unreachable” you are not trying to access website, so what’s that all about.. !!
5 years 2 months ago #34309

Have you also got this box checked..??
5 years 2 months ago #34310
Attachments:

Sorry but i think your a bit wrong here. Indi-web HAS to be started somehow on the linux machine. Like in the other thread PK allready wrote.
In your configuration it seems to be allready started, so you don´t have to do something anymore.

Because of the unreachable web site:

Just stop you indiserver on your Raspi, and try to connect. You will get the same message too i bet. Since i am opening the indi-webmanager via browser thats a normal behaviour for me.

And thanx, i allready know how to work with the server/client version. It was just about starting it.

And please excuse my english, but what does "you have that by the sound of it" mean?
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by the.cakemaker.
5 years 2 months ago #34311

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds