INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ongoing problems with EQMOD - can't clear fault

• Thank you received: 5
Hello

I've had lots of problems recently with the latest version of KStars/EKOS (I think it's 3.1.0??) with Mac. My main issue is the telescope running way past horizontal in RA, potentially crushing itself and the camera against the tripod legs if I had left it to its own devices. This happens in GoTo slewing; I haven't trusted it to do a meridian flip but I assume it would be the same.

Jesam gave me instructions to clear the data from the Park tab in the System page of the Mount tab; this I did through my Mac, but it kept happening. I attempted to do the same directly through the StellarMate by plugging a keyboard and monitor into it, but I get an even more bizarre problem.

I cannot enter the INDI menu screen at all! If I click the INDI control panel icon from the main KStars menu bar, I get no result at all. I can open the EKOS control panel, and hit the INDI control panel icon within it, and the INDI control panel will indeed open up behind it, but if I try to click on it, it disappears!! Same when the taskbar occasionally flashes up - it will disappear if I try to click on it ( see picture). No way at all to access INDI that I can see, so I can't access that or any other menu. It seems that KSTars under Ubuntu enters a full screen mode which I can't deselect using the View menu - there is no taskbar at all most of the time, and it seems numerous screens (FITS, INDI, Preview etc etc) are hidden inaccessibly behind the main window.

A further issue which has come up is the StellarMate entering Emergency Mode on every single startup. It means I have to plug in a keyboard and monitor to hit Control-D every time, meaning I no longer have a mini, portable system. Everything boots fine after that, but it's going into this mode no matter how I shut it down after each session. This only started after loading all the latest software and drivers about a week ago.

VERY frustrating!! I estimate I've spent 20-30hrs trying to get my system to work under StellarMate, and still not a single image to show for it.
5 years 1 month ago #34950
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3
Hi,

I did experience this as well. I was on stellermate image 1.3.1.

Jasem compiled a new 1.3.2 stellarmate image which I installed and the problems disappeared. The mount was behaving erratic, for example slewing just a few stars to either side would send the mount almost upside down and the scope and camera crushing into the tripod.

So, are you on that image?

Since then I have moved to the nightly builds, which seem to solve different other issues.

Marco
5 years 1 month ago #34976

Hello Marco, that’s exactly what’s happening - slewing to stars only a few degrees from the pole gives this extreme movement. How can I tell what StellarMate build I am on? I’m not an IT person.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Mark Sandford.
5 years 1 month ago #34984

• Thank you received: 3
Well, when I ordered the stellarmate OS. I got a downloadlink to a file Called stellarmateOS_1.3.1, which I then installed on My RaspberryPi.
But I think you bought a stellarmate as a complete package, correct? Then I think you should try to reinstall with a newer version which I think Jasem will provide gladly. It's really easy, even if you're not an IT person.

I don't know exactly how you could tell from the setup you have what version of the driver for eqmod is causing this.

Your problem is exactly the same as what I experienced anyway, and it can be fixed ;-)

Marco
5 years 1 month ago #34988

Thanks Marco, hopefully Jesam can help soon.
5 years 1 month ago #34990

• Thank you received: 41
Hi
I saw your message and your problems look very similar to mine. All happened out of the blue. The mount did not seem to want to slew properly used RA far too much and Dec hardly the result was that the scope often crashed against the tripod. It was so strange that I started to think that I had imagined that it ever slewed differently. Spent a number of hours troubleshooting and even bought a pier extension to try to get the scope out of the way of the tripod.
Anyway after trying what I thought was everything including try the latest nightly build. I decided to update the indi EQMOD driver you can find instructions how to do this here.
www.indilib.org/devices/telescopes/eqmod.html
Type the following into your Ubuntu terminal
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install indi-eqmod

After installation, restart Kstars and your EKOS/INDI profile
It should work. It did for me. Using Ubuntu 18 on an Odroid headless using team viewer to PC or remotely under Windows KStars3.0. Both work perfectly now. Hope it works for you.

Mike
5 years 1 month ago #35080

Hello Mike

Thanks for that. Jasem has sent me some new software to try out, I will attempt that today. Don't know if the bad driver will be replaced in the process.
5 years 1 month ago #35140

Time to create page: 0.716 seconds