INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Sharing Mini PC find, ideal for embedded INDI/KStars

• Thank you received: 226
Not sure if this is appropriate to promote or not. But I thought I should share these very interesting looking mini PC's I found on AliExpress. I think they have a great deal of potential for embedded setups. Small, powerful, Linux capable devices with multiple COM ports and take 12VDC power.
Here are a couple devices I have bookmarked.
Basic Mini PC (2 COM, 4xUSB3.0, WiFi)
All the bells and whistles Mini PC (6 COM ports, 4xUSB3.0, Internal GPIO, USB2 header, Mobile SIM and WiFi)

I'm curious what people think of these and the like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Gwilym, Derek
5 years 1 month ago #35540

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
I have been using a Zotac 332pico miniPC with 4GB RAM, 2xUSB3.0 for over a year and that is definitely the ticket to go. Fast enough for all practical purposes and it actually runs on 5V/4A.
5 years 1 month ago #35543

• Thank you received: 29
I have this one, stable and fast, especially thanks to the USB 3.0 I receive images from the cam in 1-2 seconds, instead of 20 seconds with the Pi. Also can run KStars / Ekos on the mini PC and access via realVNC. This is to me the better option in case for some reason the connection between client and host gets interrupted, - I can just reconnect.

www.csl-computer.com/shop/shop_content.php?conID=408

I am sorry that this website seems to be available in German only, but the main features are internationally readable.
5 years 1 month ago #35549

• Thank you received: 420
I use a Minis forum Z83-F mini-pc with a 64 Gb eMMC hard disk and it works like a charm. It powers off 12 V and 2 A so it also is portable. I access it via RealVNC as well with vino running as VNC server on the mini-pc. In the field I use the eth0 port, which I have configured to have a fixed IP address, with a cable to my tablet (an iPad) which I also have configured to have a fixed IP address.

For my other imaging set up (yes, I have two) I use an older Minis Forum N34 mini-pc which is equally good, apart from the fact that it doesn't automatically boot as soon as there was a power cut which occasionally happens at my home. So I always need to boot it again by pressing a button. I am sure at some point in time I'll replace it with a newer mini-pc if I ever get fed up with it.

Both mini-pcs run Ubuntu 18.04.

Clear skies, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek
5 years 1 month ago #35552

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds