INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astrometry

• Thank you received: 0

Astrometry was created by David J Maitland

Using astrometry on Windows 10, I've installed ANSVR and the relevant index files "4202 to 4208" on a couple of occasions it has been successful on its first iteration, and then proceeded to fail on any further attempts, most of the time it just fails. As regards the inner workings of a computer, I'm a dummy, wondered whether anyone has any clues, I've attached a photo of the last ANSVR log.

Cheers Davey
5 years 2 weeks ago #36330
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Astrometry

Astrometry.net really needs a bit of tweaking before it will run perfectly. There are a number of settings and of course the index files that will all affect how it runs. It is about the optimization of all these variables. It is hard to say exactly which variables should be tweaked to make it run better, more of a trial and error.

Looks like you are already binning 4x4, are you down sampling too? That does usually help

Double check your focal length and aperture and calculated field size.. if it is wrong you can change or disable it.

Double check your position in ra and dec, you can disable this too if needed.

You can try longer or shorter exposure times to see if that helps.

For the index files, I would recommend uploading a few images to nova. Astrometry.net and see what it uses to solve them. Make sure you have those installed. 4202 seems too low. With your field size in your screenshot I could see 4204 or 4203, but probably not 4202. Also you might try installing the high end like 4209, but your field size is pretty small. But yeah test with images to see what it uses to solve them.

Finally if a certain spot in the sky doesn’t solve, move the scope to a slightly different spot and it might solve. You do have a very small field size.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David J Maitland
5 years 2 weeks ago #36384

Replied by David J Maitland on topic Astrometry

Thanks Rob, appreciate that, I'll try out your advice when the weather clears. As regards the FOV uploaded a photo to nova astrometry that's what it gave me, cheers Davey
5 years 2 weeks ago #36411

Replied by Glen on topic Astrometry

I had offline aligning working fine before last week's updates. Now its not working. Basically it bombs immediately after getting first image. Prob some simple config detail is incorrect. ?? Index files are there from my prior Kstars, FOV is correct, and otherwise I'm using the default settings. Online aligning works fine. Other detail is that I did factory reset on Stellarmate Saturday night (a few nights ago), and reran SM updater. I have Kstars 3.1.1 now (but 3.1.0 had same issue). When loading new version of Kstars, are there some pointers that need to be changed?

The message window messages are pasted below.
(Sorry, I tried to get log file too, with astrometry debug enabled, but time stamps on log file don't make sense to me, doesn't seem to be opening a fresh log file - I'll omit it now. It you really need it, let me know. I'll try again.)

2019-03-12T22:19:52 Solver failed. Try again.
2019-03-12T22:19:51 Reading input file 1 of 1: "/private/var/folders/_8/gnwd575x7c96v7ms30ckkzqh0000gn/T/fitszxCmqH.fits"...
2019-03-12T22:19:51 /Applications/kstars 3.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/solve-field -O --no-plots --no-verify --resort --downsample 2 -L 26.505 -H 38.85 -u aw -3 89.0424 -4 7.40641 -5 30 --config /Applications/kstars 3.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/astrometry.cfg -W /private/var/folders/_8/gnwd575x7c96v7ms30ckkzqh0000gn/T/solution.wcs /private/var/folders/_8/gnwd575x7c96v7ms30ckkzqh0000gn/T/fitszxCmqH.fits
2019-03-12T22:19:51 Starting solver...
2019-03-12T22:19:51 export PYTHONPATH=/Applications/kstars 3.app/Contents/MacOS/python/bin/site-packages
2019-03-12T22:19:51 export PATH=/Applications/kstars 3.app/Contents/MacOS/netpbm/bin:/Applications/kstars 3.app/Contents/MacOS/python/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
2019-03-12T22:19:51 Solver iteration #1
2019-03-12T22:19:51 Image received.
2019-03-12T22:19:41 Capturing image...

thx
glen
5 years 2 weeks ago #36434

Replied by Glen on topic Astrometry

Apart from using the scheduler, is there a way to have Ekos do an alignment, say every 60minutes, during a capture sequence?
I see the option to refocus every xx minutes. How about realign/plate solve every xx minutes??
5 years 2 weeks ago #36438

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic Astrometry

Make sure that the KStars application path does not contain a space. Now it is "/Applications/kstars 3.app" so rename it to "/Applications/kstars3.app" (note the removed space between kstars and the number 3) or "/Applications/kstars_3.app" (note the underscore).

HTH, Wouter
5 years 2 weeks ago #36439

Replied by David J Maitland on topic Astrometry

Working lovely now, actually figured out out to get the required index files onto stellarmate and solve offline, woohoo. Cheers
5 years 1 week ago #36708

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds