INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Unrequested meridian flip through capture module?

• Thank you received: 0
No, neither is selected. As it happens I should have checked one and had a tripod leg crash later that evening!
4 years 11 months ago #37228

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Should have responded to that earlier. Same here, neither is/was selected (to the best of my knowledge).

Magnus
4 years 11 months ago #37229

• Thank you received: 42
Neither checked.
4 years 11 months ago #37239

• Thank you received: 226
Not sure if I can offer any solutions. But a tip, if you suspect an imminent crash, rather than legging it to ungracefully pull the plug, you can trigger an abort from within KStars.
4 years 11 months ago #37245

• Thank you received: 66

Why are their two meridian flip settings? I was trying to test this and didn't know which one to use or if they are connected or not. Very ambiguous and confusing. I know that it did work once while capturing (and checking the box in the capture module).

Also, I thought that if I had tracked through the meridian and then checked the box after the fact that it would flip, but it didn't. Is this not a good idea? It don't thing is - I'm pretty sure I typed "I don't think this..." Argh! - would be considered un-commanded motion. I think it would be good if it worked this way.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Greg.
4 years 11 months ago #37248

• Thank you received: 375
It flips on its own indeed. However it flips well ;-) It did an unrequested flip for me during last two sessions.
4 years 11 months ago #37255

The one in capture module is to flip when IN CAPTURE.

The one in mount module is to flip at any time the mount is tracking even when you're not capturing.

What can we do to make this more clear? some more description? tooltip ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
4 years 11 months ago #37341

• Thank you received: 66

Tool tips are the best. Nobody reads manuals as you know ;-) Things are supposed to be plug and play and intuitive to operate.

But I believe there should only be one control or at least they are the same, just different access points - i.e. change one and the other changes too. But I don't see the need for more than one. If I were looking for a meridian flip control, I would NOT look in the capture pane, I would look in the mount pane. And of course one would expect it to not flip in the middle of a capture.
4 years 11 months ago #37345

• Thank you received: 420
What confuses me is this: is there really need for two meridian flip settings? When in capture you're usually tracking as well, right? So does the mount perform a meridian flip when in capture and the capture setting is not ticked but the mount setting is? Won't simply ONE meridian flip setting suffice? If the last question can be answered with YES then I'd propose to remove the one in the capture setting completely.

Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric, Greg, Wolfgang Reissenberger
4 years 11 months ago #37346

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I got another one now. I have set MF in capture module, and saved the sequence. THen running via Scheduler. It is set to do a MF at HA 0.30. At HA -01:24, it tries to flip. Mount does not flip of course.

Checkbox checked both in capture and mount module. 0.30. But what happens is an attempted flip at 01:24. Much much too early. I have no idea whatsoever of why it tries to flip.

Log attached.

Magnus
4 years 10 months ago #38555
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 139

I honestly think you just need the one flip option on the mount control panel. Either you want a meridian flip or not, even if you're not capturing, but the mount is still tracking an object across the meridian.
4 years 10 months ago #38561

• Thank you received: 20
Happened to me to.... Don't think I turned it on as I didn't know it was there in the mount module.

Maybe the best approach in the mount module would be to default to whatever the mount's controller wants to do (default in Ekos: no action). Then call the option in the mount module a type of slew limit or override to the mount's own behavior.
4 years 10 months ago #38563

Time to create page: 0.723 seconds