INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

DIYMall GPS and Astroberry GPS crashes INDI_rpigps

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

I am running on a Raspberry PI 3 B+ with 128G. I have added a GPS device from DIYMALL said to be Linux compatible. Astroberry GPS is a Driver in KSTARS. When Starting ASTROBERRY GPS. KSTARS crashes with detected indi_rpigps crashed.

The error is :
indi_rpigps : error while loading shared libraries: libgps.so.22: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Where is the libgps.so.22 located?
4 years 11 months ago #37362

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
Don't use Astroberry GPS. It's obsolete.
Use official INDI GPS instead indilib.org/devices/auxiliary/gps.html

BTW. where did you get Astroberry GPS from??? I think I removed it 2 years ago ;-)
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
4 years 11 months ago #37366

• Thank you received: 420
EDIT: Radek already provded a much better answer so I removed mine.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
4 years 11 months ago #37368

Hello,

Where did I get Astroberry GPS? It came with the download and is part of the Astroberry OS for PI. Sudo apt-get update, then Sudo apt-get upgrade are the options to go from Denaili 16.04 to 18.04. I got the OS stable. I am in the middle of the testing all of my equipment.

At first I attempted to use the GPS Simulator. At first use to test, my site (Commander Pro on iOS), was in direct conflict with the Simulator. A simulator is just that. I was looking to see if Kstars was talking to all devices.

Under Kstars, I sought a better solution as I see the DIYmall device pinging away. The DIYmall is a supported Jackson Device. I found Astroberry GPS as the last entry for Ancillary devices. Cool. But, now I find it is obsolete. Under Kstars, including GPSD includes the GPS Simulator. Is KStars talking with the Jackson device? Not yet. What other options under KStars for GPS are there? How do I get rid of Astroberry GPS?
4 years 11 months ago #37374

• Thank you received: 375
OK, I thought you compiled it yourself. It was removed from the sources some time ago.
Just ignore it and use GPSD. If you're using usb dongle you need to set proper serial port in /etc/default/gpsd, default is DEVICES="/dev/ttyS0" but this points to Raspberry Pi hardware serial.
Disconnect your GPS device, run "tail -f /var/log/syslog" in your terminal and connect the GPS. One of the lines will contain device port, such as /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyAMA0 or similar. Use this port in /etc/default/gpsd
After restart your system should recognize GPS. Also review posts here on the forum for GPS USB dongles. There's quite a few of them which might be useful for you.
4 years 11 months ago #37378

Hello Radik,

Thank you for the redirection. I used GPSD. To get it functioning I did the following:

1. I removed any symbolic links to any tty devices.
2. I recycled the PI
3. I unplugged each USB connection and set EQMount to Auto.

Everything lined up after that. Now, I get to wait for a clear night.
4 years 11 months ago #37407

Time to create page: 0.389 seconds