INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI and PHD2 on RPi 1?

• Thank you received: 0
Hi

I'm helping a friend setup INDI and PHD2 on an RPi, noteably a RPi 1B (which I think is going to be the important bit here)

I downloaded the raspbian INDI packages for RPi from here: indilib.org/download/raspberry-pi/category/6-raspberry-pi.html and installed them. No dpkg errors (the first time you run dpkg -i *.deb, there are some errors because of the order the packages happen to get installed in, and there was libftdi was missing, which I installed using apt. Second time around running dpkg -i *.deb, all packages installed without error)

I downloaded PHD2 from github, and followed the build instructions here:
github.com/OpenPHDGuiding/phd2/wiki/BuildingPHD2OnLinux

When I run the binary for phd2, I get Illegal Instruction, which I'm guessing is because RPI 1B is ARM6, vs more modern RPIs which are ARM7. I don't think this is coming from phd2 itself, as it was compiled on the raspberry pi, so I'm assuming cmake detected the correct cpu architecture. Is it possible the problem is coming from the binary INDI I installed? Should that work on ARM6, or do I have to compile it from scratch for ARM6?

Is there any known problems running either PHD2 or INDI on RPi 1?
4 years 11 months ago #37501

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
I have no experience with running INDI or PHD2 or any software on RPi 1 but I do have experience trying to run software on different architectures. The fact that RPi 1 is ARM6 and not ARM7 indeed means that you'll need to compile all binaries yourself.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 11 months ago #37507

• Thank you received: 375
I would add one thing to what Wouter already said - PHD2 uses binary libraries to support various cameras (e.g. ZWO). It might be that these libs are compiled for arm7 and you cannot recompile them... cause they're binary.
A workaround would be to use PHD2 in INDI CCD mode - this way you actually use INDI driver for a camera and connect to it from PHD2. However, no guarantee that INDI drivers will handle it because they probably use the same binary libs.
4 years 11 months ago #37514

• Thank you received: 104
To not include this proprietary binary in PHD2 add this option to cmake: -DOPENSOURCE_ONLY=1

But do not expect good performance for any graphical application when running on a Rpi1 with a single core and only 512MB of RAM.
The Rpi2 is what make PHD2 to run OK, and the Rpi3 (or better a board with at least 2GB of memory) to also run the imaging application.
4 years 11 months ago #37547

Time to create page: 0.591 seconds