INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Need help using Astrmetry.net Solver

• Thank you received: 9
Hi, I'm new to ekos/indi and first post here. I've spent the last two evenings trying to set polar alignment on mt eq6-r pro using the polar alignment method in ekos. While the procedure works sucessfully as per the youtube video I cant achieve any level of accuracy or consistancy of results. For example my initial attemp showed my polar alignment to be out by 56'. I adjusted for this and retested. Retest showed PA to be out by 9'. I readjusted and retested. subsiquent tests/adjustments gave ever worsening degrees of error. Last night I setupPA using Polemaster and quickly got to a point where Polemaster said PA was 'spot on' and subsiquent retests using Polemaster confirmed this result. At this point I measured the Polemaster derived alignment using ekos several times without making any changes or adjustments to the mount and results fluctuated from 4' to over 10' of error. I'm running Astrometry local but also confirmed results using online solver. My setup for both ekos and Polemaster are the same using a qhy5l-ii camera with 25mm FL lens mounted on the RA axis and also tried with similar results using canon dslr 450d. Assuming Polemaster is giving the correct alignment can anybody suggest what I may be doing wrong to be getting inaccurate and fluctuating results using ekos.
4 years 11 months ago #38118

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9
I guess noone else has experienced this. I'm wondering if my small focal length could be the issue. On the Polemaster setup a 25mm focal length is used. For Sharpcam a focal length of around 120mm is recommended. For ekos greater than 1 degree FOV is recommended as per the youtube video. My 25mm focal length gives me a FOV of around 10 degrees. Is there an upper FOV limit when using ekos Polar alignment?
4 years 11 months ago #38301

• Thank you received: 223
I had "similar" issues about inconsistency in the PA module a while ago, the issue however has been fixed in recent version of Kstars.
I'm using 3.2.0 on OSX, which version are you using please?

Next time you attempt the PA with the Ekos module, try to take some logs please.
4 years 11 months ago #38304

Time to create page: 0.681 seconds