INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Still same ASI1600MM USB3.0 issue. Can't seem to figure it out.

• Thank you received: 155
I have never been able to get my ASI1600MM to work when connected via USB3.0 to my computers (I tried two).
They are running Ubuntu 16.04 and using the latest updates to INDI and EKOS.
It downloads the first or second image in a sequence, but then hangs when trying too get any more.

The strange thing is that when I connect with USB2 cables, all is fine (just at USB2 speeds). This after I power down the camera though.
The USB bandwidth is set at the lowest setting (40).

I attached the log file.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_18-24-06.txt
File Size:47 KB
4 years 10 months ago #38576
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 33
This post fixed the problem for me, read the last couple of posts in the thread. I don't know if you are using a hub or not, although I've noticed I get the same behavior when not using a hub but plugging directly into the NanoPC-T4, I need to plug in the usb 3 camera first or it will only take 1 or 2 images then go into a loop never actually downloading another image. Camera is ASI294MC Pro.
Also I had a problem with a mouse-keyboard usb key doing the exact same thing after 25-35 images, going into the loop, I removed the key and no more problem.
4 years 10 months ago #38608

• Thank you received: 155
I tried connecting ONLY the ASI1600MM to the NanoPC T4 and got the same problem.
Still works great when connecting to the USB2 ports, but fails after one or twi images when connected through the USB3 port,
I used the same cables to connect my MacBook Air - and it worked great, so the issue is not the camera or cables.
What OS are you using n you T4? I have Lubuntu 16.04.
4 years 10 months ago #38630

• Thank you received: 33
I'm using Armbian 18.04 that is available on the Friendlyelec site under 3rd rom. I'm running it on the emmc but you could burn it to a spare sd card to see if it helps your problem.

Check your private messages, I sent an Armbian setup for the NanoPC-T4 if you are interested in trying it. Its pretty simple to setup. I used Lubuntu 16.04 for a bit but found Armbian more to my liking.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Brian.
4 years 10 months ago #38631

• Thank you received: 28
Hi all. I'm also having a similar issue. I'm using Ubuntu 18.04lts on an intel compute stick. I'm running a zwo asi 224 guide and qhy163c. Both are usb3 devices. They are connected to a usb3 hub. The hub then connects to the Intel compute stick. When the hub is connected to the usb2 port on the compute stick no issues.

When I connect the hub to the usb3 port my vnc freezes and I can't do anything.

Plug back to the usb2 port and everything works again.
4 years 10 months ago #38637

• Thank you received: 4
OK, the similar issue here.
NanoPC T4 with FirendllyDesktop (64bit Lubuntu 18.04). ASI 294 MC Pro
USB2 cable - USB3 port on T4 == Download jam after 7~8 frames
USB2 cable - USB2 port on T4 == OK
USB3 cable - USB3 port on T4 == Download jam after 3~4 frames
USB2 cable - USB2 Hub - USB3 port on T4 == Download jam after 3~4 frames
USB2 cable - USB2 Hub - USB2 port on T4 == Download jam after 3~4 frames, BUT it was OK on once a night!
The USB2 Hub is that on the CEM60, not powered.

I guess the reason is because of power.
USB3 port needs more power and is not very stable with poor AC-IN power.
Multiple USB2 devices will have the same issue above.
Short cable needs less power.
USB2 needs less power.
Connect the guide camera to the USB port on ASI 294 MC Pro instead of the port on NanoPC T4, because the Hub on ASI 294 MC Pro is powered Hub.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray Wells
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by ecloud.
4 years 10 months ago #39118

• Thank you received: 22
I don't have the asi1600 but both mine are also usb3. When I had them plugged into an Odroid-xu4 I could run either one but not both...and the symptom was exactly the same as you are getting, shutter/time down/retry without download. After much t-shooting, I finally rigged them into an rpi3b with usb2 ports and they both worked.
It could still be something weird in the usb3 port hardware, but I also think this could be power related.
Usb3 ports limit current at 900ma, and that adds up, especially when your hot SBC is already drawing 3A(at times) of the 4A recommended. The supply can drop out of regulation and still operate the lower voltage sbc circuits, but peripherals may start acting very strange. It's like apollo 13 on the ground! After researching and testing in the shop, I now recommend more supply for any of the hotter sbc's or busy Observatory/remote setups. I also recommend running a powered hub for all accessories that don't demand a host port to keep current down in the sbc supply.

To fix my problem I just installed a 5A 12v-5v buck converter to run just the Odroid, and then only run the ASI178mm into the usb3 host port on that unit, while the rest is on a separate buck regulator and usb2 ports on an RPi3b/powered hub. I'd seen others going to 2 computers and realized this would give me more isolation as well as a remote desktop for high speed planetary work.

---this rig is currently not quite working, t-shooting right now to figure out why the asi178mm is not found on the network system.

Clear skies!

Ray
4 years 10 months ago #39130

• Thank you received: 4
All these research are based on our assumption.
So first we should know the software cause that leads to the dead loop of exposing.
Which ASI APIs are called when the expose time goes to 0 of the dead loop.
Then we can figure out which part of the camera is wrong at the time.

We need the help from dev team.
@knro
4 years 10 months ago #39149

The driver is hosted here for anyone who wants to take a look: github.com/indilib/indi/tree/master/3rdparty/indi-asi

Exposure timeout is usually related to USB bandwidth or communication issues. I've used two cameras (178 and 120) both exposing and downloading and I never had issues on x86-64 and armhf. Sure there might be a delay when an image is ready is download but the other camera is still uploading the data, but that never caused the exposure to timeout. The timeout is coming from the SDK itself, not the driver.
4 years 10 months ago #39166

• Thank you received: 28
Hi all, i don't think it is an indi or driver issue.

I think there is something weird going on with Ubuntu and the way is handles USB3.0. Why are there no issues with USB2.0??
4 years 10 months ago #39169

• Thank you received: 22
Yep. I agree it still could be software, especially when I later tried using a usb3 notebook with plenty of power available as the indiserver. :/ _ forgot i'd done that and it shoots the whole power thing in the foot.

I cut out most of my research steps for brevity, but I guess I should have left more. @knro duplicated the setup I had when I encountered this error, except with a pi instead of a usb3 Odroid and could not reproduce the problem in order to t-shoot it on his end. When I changed to a usb2 pi the problem also disappeared. -- this follows the current theme of usb2 okay usb3 not so much. That said, my asi178mm OR my asi120-s was working fine on usb3 when run standalone.

This thread journals that similar saga: asi-178mm asi120-s must stop one...

p.s. I was able to get an error to show in logs when it failed to download.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Ray Wells.
4 years 10 months ago #39170

• Thank you received: 420
For what it's worth, I use an ASI1600MM-C Pro (i.e. USB3) camera together with an ASI120MC-S (i.e. also USB3) on a MinisForum N34 mini-pc running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 without any problems whatsoever. The ASI120MC-S is used as guide cam and it is connected to the USB hub of the ASI1600MM and, yes, that's an USB2 hub. But even when I connect the guide cam to the USB3 hub that is plugged into the N34 it works flawlessly. Ekos downloads the images from the ASI1600 within a second and continues guiding meanwhile. Honestly, I do not think this is a driver or INDI issue because I don't see it. Unfortunately I don't have a clue as to what the real issue may be.

Wouter
4 years 10 months ago #39171

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds