INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

rpi 3 B+ indi server

• Thank you received: 18

rpi 3 B+ indi server was created by Dean

I have an rpi 3 B+ that I would like to control my eqmod mount and CCD gear (camera and guide).
I understand indi server can be run over VNC from another machine running a full install of Kstars/Ekos .
I am aware of astroberry and astropi but I want to leverage the full 64 bit architecture on the rpi.
Does anyone have some suggestions on whether to use 64 bit Ubuntu 18.04 Mate or 64 bit Ubuntu 18.04 server?
I would think Ubuntu server is the route to go since I dont think I need full desktop capability to run indi server and
mount/camera drivers.

BTW, first post to this excellent forum and community!

belt modded HEQ5
Meade 8" SCT
ASI385MC-C
ASI120MM-mini
Orion 60mm guidescope
4 years 10 months ago #39200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic rpi 3 B+ indi server

Hello and welcome
Watching this thread with interest... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 years 10 months ago #39202

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by kamisan on topic rpi 3 B+ indi server

Hi Dean,

I've had great success with Astroberry but as you can see from my last post, one that is nearly concurrent with yours, you need to pay attention to power. Avoid like the plague over-voltage and under-voltage PSU's. Before plugging in power to your Pi test the no-load voltage. It should read 5.2V +/- 0.05V.
4 years 10 months ago #39204

Replied by Dean on topic rpi 3 B+ indi server

I may make the jump into Ubuntu server and then git clone and compile indi from
scratch. Thnx for the heads up: I also read a lot of posts on the forum about pi power so I already purchased
an Orico powered 4 usb hub. All the pieces of this puzzle are coming together ... just need the weather to co-op
4 years 10 months ago #39206

Hi Dean,

IMHO, the best configuration is to run the server aboard your scope. It's not unusual to have many USB devices: camera, filter wheel, focuser, Flip-Flat, GPS. The more advanced you are, the more devices, and then you need a powered USB hub! Again in my opinion it is best to have the fewest number of wires dangling between your scope and the ground. In the past I've run a Linux laptop on the ground and lots of USB cables connected to devices on the scope. I don't recommend it. Anyhow, good luck! There are lots of configurations.
4 years 10 months ago #39207

Dean,

One more thing I want to add: INDI server is important but also consider the client. The client can run several places: (1) on the same box as the server, (2) on a remote computer on a reliable hardwired network, or (3) on a remote computer on an unreliable wireless network. My choice is #1 although #2 is a close second. (The problem with #2 is that you need to run an Ethernet cable between your scope and your remote location.) I know that people run #3 but understand the following: (1) the "brains" behind astrophotography runs on the client (in other words, the server is just carrying out commands and doing the dirty work,) (2) if you have an unreliable connection between the client and the server then you should not be surprised that your imaging session could be unexpectedly and abruptly interrupted. The advantage of an Astroberry or Stellarmate solution is that client and server run on the same box, and as an added bonus you connect to it via Virtual Access Point, so no need to run Ethernet cables between it and your remote computer. If your connection to Astroberry or Stellarmate is interrupted then astrophotography proceeds uninterrupted. Why? Because the client is running on the server (i.e. Astroberry or Stellarmate). The ONLY negative is having to use "remote desktop" software to check the progress of you image capture. It is less "snappy" than the other solutions.
4 years 10 months ago #39209

Dean,

Just so it doesn't sound like I am receiving kickbacks from the makers of Astroberry and Stellarmate, I have to say that running entirely off of an SD card is less than ideal. They don't last forever, and they will just suddenly fail. Solid State Drives are a great alternative but it requires some DIY work to implement.
4 years 10 months ago #39212

good points on 1) 2) and 3). My goal is to minimize cable wrap, hence the rpi, and my balcony is wood and surprisingly
the tiniest deflection due to my standing and manual focusing etc. causes things to go "off". I don't mind one ethernet cable
back into the house so Im thinking client+ server on the rpi is the way forward. Thanks for your help, Im fairly new to
astroP but Im enjoying the learning ;)
4 years 10 months ago #39217

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic rpi 3 B+ indi server

I don’t find the rpi3b+ powerful enough to run all the imaging software, it’s just not got enough grunt, so I run Kstars on my client Linux based laptop and just use the rpi as an INdI server... :)
4 years 10 months ago #39219

I have not yet graduated to "advanced imager" so the 3B+ works fine for me. The model 4 will be out just in time but given the weather perhaps it will be the model 5 :-)

Last night there were two objects visible: the Moon and Arcturus. Par for the course.

Makes me wonder why I spend so much on gear when all I get is two opportunities per month to image. Cost-benefit analysis is not good.

The two enemies of astrophotographers are:
  1. Light Pollution
  2. Water Vapor

Air pollution is a distant third. In fact major strides against air pollution have been made in America. Fifty years ago you could see a thick blue haze of car exhaust driving through Manhattan. My eyes would sting. Now you can close your eyes and ears and think you were in Central Park.

IMHO, the enemy is water vapor. Perhaps we could deploy a massive matrix of TEC coolers to condense the vapor to liquid water.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by kamisan.
4 years 10 months ago #39221

that's funny ... on Thursday night all I got here (Dundas, Ontario) between the clouds rolling in was the moon, Capella,
Arcturus. Thanks everyone for replying with solid advice. I hadn't considered addressing SD card reliability with an SSD drive.
I will post a followup once I implement a solution.
cheers!
Dean
4 years 10 months ago #39239

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic rpi 3 B+ indi server

I highly recommend just buying the StellarMate OS and load it onto an SD card, plug it into your RPi3B+ and you're good to go. Run Kstars at the other end of your ethernet cable and you'll have excellent performance - you can use Wifi but in a populated area its likely to be hindered - at a dark site its not a worry.
4 years 10 months ago #39241

Time to create page: 1.232 seconds