INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

The Most Stable Setup

• Thank you received: 1
I'm having a large amount of stability issues, and have decided to rebuild my system from scratch. ( app crashing and usb device issues)

What OS / Version should I pick to get the most stable solution for KStars / Ekos / Indi.

thanks

D
4 years 9 months ago #40210

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
Hi D,

What hardware are you using? Raspberry Pi? Some other PC-like device? In any case, Ubuntu Mate 18.04 has been rock stable for me over the past year.

HTH, Wouter
4 years 9 months ago #40212

Replied by Dominic on topic The Most Stable Setup

HI,

I'm using a PC , built from bits , using a AMD Tyzen 3 1200 Quad core ~3.1GHz,16GB RAM

ASI120MM, ASI183MM,EQMod, ASIEFW,ASIEAF,GPSD,Flipflat,Script Dome,USB_dew ( most connected via a powered USB 3 HUB),SkyWatcher EQ6-R.

I used to use a Pi but it couldn't handle my 2 ASI camera's , used to just cycle the exposure time. ( it might be time to get it another go)
4 years 9 months ago #40240

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic The Most Stable Setup

Well using a PC you are limited to only Linux to run it all as Indi does not run on windows, I use Linux Kubuntu...
Or just put Kstars on a windows or Linux PC and run INdI from the rpi in server mode... :)
4 years 9 months ago #40251

• Thank you received: 420
Indeed, if you want to run KStars from the PC then and Ubuntu flavor will work. Like i said in my comment above, version 18.04 has worked really well for me. I have not tried 19.04 yet but that should work as well. Please do not use 18.10 since some INDI packages are not available for that version.

Wouter
4 years 9 months ago #40264

• Thank you received: 104
If you want something stable, use Ubuntu 18.04 and keep using only LTS release. It is supported until 2023.

18.10 will be obsolete next month and 19.04 in six month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dominic
4 years 9 months ago #40290

• Thank you received: 56

Replied by Rishi Garrod on topic The Most Stable Setup

I am using the Stellarmate which is Ubuntu on the Pi. Since I have started using a good powered USB hub it has been extremely stable. Using the built in USB ports from the Pi did not work well for me. I also use an separate WiFi access point which I place as close as possible to the Pi.
4 years 9 months ago #40323

• Thank you received: 38

Replied by Sonny Cavazos on topic The Most Stable Setup

I am using Raspberry Pi using Ubuntu Mate and I use with only the INDI-SERVER on the telescope. Connect to my WIFI, and use a cheap laptop where I installed Ubuntu and KSTARS.

I connect to my equipment via the WIFI / INDI server on my telescope and it is the most stable operation I have ever used.

I have iOptron CEM60 with Moonlite focuser with two ZWO cameras (one Guide and an ASI 071 MC Pro).

Everything works great, it took a while to get the Indi server to autostart, and I installed INDI Web Manager to remotely restart the INDI server on the Raspberry PI.

I love this setup and recommend this setup to anyone who wants to have a very stable system.

FYI the windows version of Kstars has issues with the FITS viewer. It crashes when loading my images, don't know why, but it happens all the time, so I moved to Ubuntu and run KStars there. Make sure you have client saving of images on the camera page of KStars.
-Sonny
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Sonny Cavazos.
4 years 9 months ago #40410

Replied by Dominic on topic The Most Stable Setup

Thanks, I've rebuilt onto 18.04, and after finding ModemManger was a source of Evil, I have everything working great.

thank you

D
4 years 9 months ago #40437

Time to create page: 0.415 seconds