INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

• Thank you received: 3
Thank you for this. My Flirc case comes soon and my (RMA) Pegasus UPBv2 comes in a day or so and I'm hoping my first all Indi setup will be ready by mid August with the PPBv2 drivers hopefully being in the next update.
4 years 7 months ago #41575

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27
If it helps anyone, I built a Mate system based on Ubuntu 18.04 server. To make it bootable, the firmware is replaced from raspbian.
Here is the script (actually it is makefile) , which builds the system:
github.com/avarakin/astropi
Nice thing about it is that it is using official Kstars and other repositories so there is no need to build anything from source.

Alex
The following user(s) said Thank You: giorgio, AstroNerd
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Alex Varakin.
4 years 7 months ago #41576

• Thank you received: 140

I got the wireless up and running with a hotspot with static ip for out in the field, on wlan1 (USB WiFi dongle) WiFi for internet on wlan0 on the internal WiFi ...but that will not work on static ip only dhcp....not sure why..
The networking stuff is very awkward on this raspbian I must say...

Also one more thing to add is that the 4K resolution WILL NOT work over any VNC only full HD max, which was useless to me as have 4K monitor, so had to use XRDP with Remote Desktop on either windows or Remmina Remote Desktop on a Linus laptop.. so worth considering as the 4K is very useful. For many people...
4 years 7 months ago #41578

So have you got this fully working with Ubuntu and rpi4 before I spend the time trying it out ..?
4 years 7 months ago #41581

I never tried running it with real equipment but Ekos with simulator works.
Internal Wifi adapter, wireless mouse and keyboard do not work but I read that it can be fixed by installing modules from Raspbian.
The setup was done half headless: with ssh over Ethernet + display over HDMI.
I think that this method is the best available right now - it removes the dependency on Ubuntu Mate which was very slow to adopt 18.04.
Also hopefully Ubuntu guys will build a proper image for Pi 4 soon so no hacking with firmware would be required.

Alex
4 years 7 months ago #41582

Please forgive my ignorance, but as this is Ubuntu Mate server, does that mean that it does not have the Ubuntu mate desktop gui..?? As I would need that...
4 years 7 months ago #41583

The original Ubuntu server does not have Mate desktop but my script installs it, as well as X Windows and LightDM desktop manager.
It also uninstalls some server software which is not needed.
I intentionally did not install office stuff as it is very heavy and not needed for imaging.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 7 months ago #41585

• Thank you received: 809
When the official image forUbuntu-mate on Raspberry Pi 4 comes out, I will probably go back to using that, since my original script should work just fine for that and I like ubuntu mate better. But I thought it would be good to take this opportunity to make a new script so that those who wish to use Raspbian can have a script that gets them up and running just as well as somebody using ubuntu mate. Plus this gives me a chance to start using and playing with the pi until that time.
4 years 7 months ago #41587

Do you really want to use 4K resolution Remote Desktop control over ethernet/wifi to control your Raspberry Pi? I would think that would take more CPU cycles, more RAM, more power, and more traffic over the network. What is gained by using remote control with 4K resolution vs. just HD resolution? Is it just more screen space or something else?
4 years 7 months ago #41589

I was also under impression that using Raspbian as a base is the best approach but the problem is that Debian, which it is based on, does not have its own PPA and using Ubunty PPA may work but may also not work. So probably the only reliable way of having latest astro software is to build it from source which in my mind is too much hassle for most people.
@rlancaste How do you install latest astro software in your script - from PPA or build it from source?

Alex
4 years 7 months ago #41590

Yes, you are correct in that the PPA on ubuntu is wonderful and installs things very quickly. That is one of the reasons I like using Ubuntu MATE better for my PIs.

But, while my script was originally designed to make it easier for me to set up a Raspberry Pi3 running Ubuntu-MATE for use in AstroPhotography, the thing that sets it apart from some of the other options is that you can run the script (or the other versions I made of it) on numerous different computers to get them set up as well. So it can get a Rock64, an ODroid C2, a standard ubuntu system, or a virtual machine all setup. (I have used it on all of these). One thing I haven't done is made a version of the script that can be run on a non-ubuntu system. Some people might like Raspbian and want to use that instead. A friend also complained awhile back that he couldn't run my script on his system because there wasn't an Ubuntu MATE image for a Tinkerboard and he wanted to use that. So I think having at least a Raspbian version would be good.

To answer your last question, my script for Raspbian builds INDI, KStars, PHD2, and INIDWebManagerApp from source. This doesn't take as long as you might think because the Raspberry Pi 4 is much faster than is predecessors. I think it probably takes about an hour to get all set up, but I didn't time it.
4 years 7 months ago #41591

Lol, it runs perfectly fine over Remote Desktop, have you ever run just HD on a 4K monitor, it looks bloody awful, besides when you have Kstars, Ekos, INdI control panel, Phd2, all open the 4K monitor holds it all great so you can see it all without having overlapping windows or having to minimise any..
Did you get the personal message I sent regards conky....?
4 years 7 months ago #41593

Time to create page: 1.164 seconds