INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

• Thank you received: 74
IMHO - the bottom line ,at this moment in time, is to have a "script" to enable "normal" users to easily build a fully working Kstars/Indilib etc system on a RPI4 and not worry about 4k monitors used with Remote working. Nobody really knows how long a stable and fully working Ubuntu Mate on RPI4 will be .

Astronerd has this working on his system anyway :-)

So thank you,on behalf of "normal" users, Rlancaste for your efforts.

Must admit for now I have gone with a straight forward 4gb Gigabyte Brix dual core 2807 which is about the same size as RPI but has a Sata interface (so I use SSD's) and Ubuntu Mate 19.04 works (together with Kstars/Indi/Ekos) out of the box AND can be updated simply. And not a real difference in price or performance after adding case,cooling system power supply.
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Clive Stachon.
4 years 8 months ago #41596

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 812
I developed my script a couple of years ago. It currently should work on an ubuntu-mate system, whether on Raspberry Pi 3b, 3b+, Rock64, or Odroid C2 (and probably numerous others). When the new ubuntu-mate image is released for raspberry pi 4b, it should work for that too. So that work is already basically done. Mainly what I have been doing this week is revising it so a version should work on Raspbian as well. (I also have been going back and made some revisions to the original script as well based on new things I learned.)

My script should certainly be good out of the box for "normal" users as you describe them because they can just run the script and set it all up. But one of the key points of the script is that it can be adapted to different systems and different people's setups. I commented everything and explained in the code how you can change it to add or remove certain features. So there is nothing wrong with adapting it to work for 4k monitors for certain users. I'm not currently focused on that because I'm working on the raspbian script and revisions, but I wouldn't try to discourage people from trying to do something new or make changes. I can see how a 4k monitor option could be really great for people who have big monitors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 8 months ago #41600

• Thank you received: 140

Jasem has a working Stellarmate on the rpi4 now, so should not be to long...before at least a beta release...spoke to him yesterday...
4 years 8 months ago #41601

Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 8 months ago #41602

• Thank you received: 812
Thats good to hear. We work together all the time on KStars/INDI stuff. We aren't competing ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 8 months ago #41603

• Thank you received: 27
Do you know what distro it is based on?
4 years 8 months ago #41604

Yes still on Ubuntu mate as before... can’t wait for this :) :)
4 years 8 months ago #41605

• Thank you received: 138
Massive vote of thanks from me for rlancae's script for setting up a RPi. As a newcomer to Linux INDI and RPi it was very useful in getting something working.

I'm not suggesting that there aren't alternatives but for me it worked well.
4 years 8 months ago #41606

Well the first beta release of Stellarmate for the rpi4 is out, and it’s works well... :)
4 years 8 months ago #41640

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by giorgio on topic New Raspberry pi 4 anounced

Hi guys what Rpi4 variant are you using? I wanted to get the 4GB model but it is chronically out of stock...
4 years 8 months ago #41660

4gb me, and it’s fast with SM... :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Tate
4 years 8 months ago #41662

• Thank you received: 0
@RLANCASTE Is your script ready for use? Only I have tried to use it on my Pi4 2G and am getting a lot of errors.
I used the official Rasbian with desktop (not the version with added software). Is that the correct starting point?
4 years 8 months ago #41675

Time to create page: 1.205 seconds